The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Court Martial

Guest 2contemptable

Guest 2contemptable

Hello all,

Does anyone know the reference for T.N.A. relating to an individual soldier sentenced to No 1 Field punishment? I know that my grandad had this unpleasant experience shortly after his arrival in France for refusing to obey an order. He was sixteen and obviously a tad cheeky and I was wondering whether or not any paper work exists on this. To the best of my limited knowledge this was heard by his Commanding Officer who awarded the sentence. Am I right?

Many thanks

Your only real hope is that his own service papers still exist. If so, his conduct sheet and military servive history may be among them, and they will mention his FP No 1 and the charge that led to it.

His papers, if they are among the 30% or so that survive, will be at the National Archives.

Guest 2contemptable

Thank you Chris,

I have his papers and they just mention the fact that he received his sentence for refusing to obey an order. I was just pondering whether a record of the hearing might exist somewhere to see what exactly he had refused to do. He did not get into trouble again!! He survived the Somme and a few other scraps was buried alive on a few occassions was shot in the arm and lived to a right old age.

Thanks again.