The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1/6 London Regt

Guest robert.brown

Guest robert.brown

I have been doing some research into 6th Battalion London Regiment, and wonder if they produced a Regimental magazine of any sort from 1908 onwards; if so are copies still extant?

Does anybody know of any local newspapers which carried reports on their activities either before or after 1914?

And does anybody know what happened to the War Memorial which was erected in the Farringdon Road Drill Hall after the War (illustrated on plate 60 of "The Cast Iron Sixth?"

My grandfather served with the Regiment until his death in 1917, and I would be very grateful for any help on these issues.

Guest Neil Daly

Robert,

I to am carrying out research on the 1/6th Bn as my Great Uncle Cpl Hassack DCM served with them until he was KIA at Highwood Sept 1916. I was at kew gardens last weekend looking through the Bn war diaries and am currently reading the Cast Iron Sixth. Perhaps contacting the Royal Green Jackets Museum in Winchester might shed some light on your unanswered questions.

Neil

Guest robert.brown

Neil

Thanks for your posting. I've yet to read the war diary: does it give much detail of individual infantrymen, as I've been led to believe that it only deals with things in the most general of terms.

RGJ has very little on the 1/6 London unfortunately. Although they became part of the KRRC in 1916 the Volunteer battalions seemed to attract little attention from the regular regiments, and the majority of the historical references and Regtl magazine entries are to do with the regulars.

I have good contacts with the RGJ museum, so will let you know if anything turns up.

Robert

Robert,

The Guildhall Library in the City would be a good place to look for London newspapers of the time. I think it also houses all the London Regiment WW1 histories, (don't quote me as I was told this).

Another worthwhile visit is St Sepulchre Church in Newgate Street in the City, which was the regimental church. One great item there is the original Loos Cross. It is not open every day so a phone call would be worthwhile before you visit, particularly if you are from out of town. I wouldn't want you to make a journey in vain.

The best of luck with your hunting.

Invicta

Hi there,

One source you may want to look at could be the National Army Museum which may hold copies of the regimenatl mag.

Another source maybe the local studies department of the local library.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Tom

Evening all.

Not sure if it is the same Londons,but the 6th Londons were part of 174th Brigade,and heavily involved right the way through 1917,with the 58th Division.

The Division was made up of loads of London Regiments,including the 8th Post Office Rifles,with the 6th in the 174th Brigade,and the 9th Londons,Queen Victoria's Rifles,in 175th Brigade.

I didn't realise these 2 Battalions had been around for a long time before the Division was formed,as it was largely made up of Conscripts at the time i was looking at it.

There were a few veterans still kicking around in their ranks.

No Divisional history,but i think all of the diaries are available.

Good luck.

All the best.

Simon.