The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New book by Ku-ring-gai Historical Society , NSW, Australia

MaureenE

Ku-ring-gai Historical Society , NSW, Australia has recently published

Rallying the Troops: A World War I Commemoration, Volume 1

rallying_troops.jpgOver 1300 men and women with links to Ku-ring-gai served in World War I. They came from all walks of life, from labourers to university lecturers. Their origins were diverse, not only from the immediate locality but also from other parts of New South Wales, from other states and from other countries.

Their achievements were many: one in every ten was decorated. Their losses were great: one in every five did not return. What all did for their nation is monumental. Volume I, with a foreword by Dr Brendan Nelson, Director of the Australian War Memorial, has been researched and written by members of Ku-ring-gai Historical Society.

It contains the war stories of those with names beginning A to F, approximately one third of all those who volunteered. It also includes chapters on our area as it was at the outbreak of war, on recruiting, enlistment and the rifle clubs, the early battles in which our veterans were involved, information on our local memorials and a guide to the memorials and cemeteries overseas where our dead are commemorated. Volumes II and III are planned for release in 2015 and 2016.

http://www.khs.org.au/rallying_the_troops.html

Cheers

Maureen

It looks like a great effort. I recently read the book on Beecroft and Cheltenham during the War, and found it fascinating.

Gareth

• 1 year later...

rallying_troops_Vol_II.jpg

Now released:
Rallying the Troops: A World War I Commemoration Volume II

Volume II (414 pages) contains a foreword by Major General Gordon Maitland AO, OBE RFD ED (Ret’d), a distinguished military historian and doyen of the veteran community. This volume contains biographical entries for Ku-ring-gai veterans with names beginning G to K. Other chapters include the extensive training undergone both in Australia and overseas, the Engineer Officers Training School at Roseville that attracted students from all over Australia, and our veterans’ participation in the major campaigns and battles in the Middle East, and on the Western Front at Fromelles, Pozières, Mouquet Farm and Bullecourt.

Appendices include the Australian military structure in World War I, an illustrated glossary of terms, lists of those who lost their lives and where they are buried or commemorated, and of our decorated. The names of all our volunteers are listed separately.

Volumes III and IV are planned for release by November 2018.

http://www.khs.org.au/rallying_the_troops.html

Volume I is also available.

Cheers

Maureen

Hello. I just saw these two recently published volumes (Australian local Honour Rolls / Histories) in multiple volumes.

Are individuals indicated where, what type or nature of wound(s)? I am deeply interested in history of military mental health "shellshock."

Also I am deeply interested in post-war concerns of ANZAC veterans including mental health concerns etc..... Do these books cover any of this at all?

Tx from way up north! John

John,

See if you can get a copy of "Shattered Anzacs'' by Marina Larsson, published by UNSW Press in 2009. It has a good bibliography and deals with the subjects you are looking at.

Scott

Tx Scott. I agree absolutely. Marina's book (which I have and have processed!) is quite good for the real people real evidence approach to the broad subject of "shellshock." At the time she was researching working (late 1990s and early 2000's) social media was in its infancy and privacy legislation generally nowhere reflected modern technological capacities etc.... Thus in Canada whilst conceivably ALL the personnel / medical files of the CEF members may eventually be actually online for anyone anywhere in the world to view download print off etc.... provincial, local medical/health care records are severely access restricted.....

John