The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Parade`s End

PhilB

I`m 70 pages into the book (830 to go) and finding it slow going. The blurb says "The finest English novel about the Great War- Guardian", but seems very verbose. They`re just pursuing the girls on the golf course. Should I persevere? :unsure:

I never got beyond the opening scene on the train. Nor did I see more than the first episode of the recent TV adaption. Don't know if that helps with your decision!

The blurb is misleading. It is indeed verbose by today's literary standards and style. Set in wartime, mostly, it is mainly concerned with the decline of the "Victorian-Edwardian class" as seen through relationships, professional and personal. The war is the backdrop, not the foreground of the book. It is not a war novel in the way Sasson's Memoirs of an Infantry Officer, or Graves Goodbye to All That or the more recent Regeneration trilogy.

There is a very good review (with spoilers) by Julian Barnes

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/aug/24/julian-barnes-parades-end-ford-madox-ford

I'd always struggled with Ford, he can be painfully drawn out, but after watching the recent TV production I went back to the original & suddenly it all fell into place. Ford's habit of starting a scene half way through can be terribly confusing but it's worth persisting with. You can skip 'Last Post' though, it's got precious little to do with the first 3 books.

I tried The Good Soldier, which I think is by the same author.

I gave up.

I'm afraid, philistine that I am, that having reached a reasonable age, time is too short to spend on books I'm not enjoying. I even gave up on Barnaby Rudge for the same reason. Personally, if you're having to ask whether you should persevere, the answer's probably "No".

I was once told that learning not to read a book that you feel you really should read to the very end is "The begging of wisdom".

Should've read beginning of course!

I loved it but it is not 'a Great War novel' in the way Regeneration or Strange Meeting is. It is also a very modernist novel with shifting time and narrative perspective. Trust me it gets a whole lot more complicated than the first 70 pages (the last novel in the series is largely narrated by a character pretending to be in a coma). I am now going to commit the ultimate heresy for an English and History teacher and suggest you abandon the book and watch a DVD of the recent adaptation which was excellent. You should never have to 'persevere' with a book

David