The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Georgina Lee

susan kitchen

I see this book was first posted in 2009 in which it received no replies. However only just discovering the book myself i felt it was worth mentioning again.

Mention Home Front and people start thinking Shortage of food. Internment of foreigners and knitting circles. However Georgina Lee followed the progress of the war as close

as she could, quoting from speeches made by Asquith, Lloyd George and Churchill. An extract from her diary reads.

About 40,000 fresh troops are leaving England now for the front.

The German fury as displayed by their destruction of Louvain

may be due to their fear of the advancing Russians. These are making such progress

in Eastern Prussia that so far nothing can check them. They are marching on Danzig.

An earlier entry.

The investment by the Japanese of the port of Tsingtao has begun. The kaiser has sent a message to the garrison

at Kiaochow to hold his possession by what ever means. The German governor has had the chinese villages

in the vicinity razed to the ground and all tall buildings in Tsingtao dynamited as they might give range to the Japanese.

Read many Home Front books before but not one with the detailed understanding such as this one. She really was interested in all aspects.