The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Harry Frank Handel 20th Reserve Battery

Guest PaulineH

I am trying to find out the circumstances of my great-grandfather's (Harry Frank Handel) death. He died at home on 9th March 1915 from pneumonia, mitral disease and heart failure. He is listed on the CWGC site as a gunner in the RFA 20th Reserve Battery; Service No. 16005; served in South Africa campaign. I cannot find any web references to his given battery so do not know whether he was taken ill/injured on active service abroad or home although on his death certificate he is listed as an army pensioner. He was buried at Lambeth cemetery and is listed on the war memorial there. I have attached a photo of the funeral cortege passing through Clapham High Street. Would such a funeral have been the norm at the time?

I have tried the following resources:

medal lists (National Archives) - no joy

soldiers died (National Archives) - no joy

army pension records (National Archives) - no joy

service records (National Archives) - no joy

CWGC

local papers form March 1915 - no joy

death certificate

funeral souvenirs (photos & undertakers details)

Please could anyone point me in the right direction for information on his Battery and any other possible sources of information. I intend to check whether the undertakers are still going and have thought of checking whether my great-grandmother made any hardship fund claims but any other suggestions would be much appreciated

post-1-1098635026.jpg

I am trying to find out the circumstances of my great-grandfather's (Harry Frank Handel) death.

Hi,

Was he of German or Austrian origin?

Was he related to my favourite composer?

Robbie

Hi Pauline

Welcome to the forum.

Harry Handel appears in SDGW as Harry Handell. Born Kennington Enlisted Holborn. It doesn't list his place of residence.

I hope this is of help

Myrtle

If he was a pensioner it is unlikely he served in the 1914 war per se and thus would not necessarily be on medal rolls etc. However, he may well have been carrying out a role with the RFA as a pensioner ie messenger or similar as my great grandfather did for the RN.The unit listed is most likely the last one he served with before retirement which may not have been in existence at the time of death.

Probably the Royal Artillery museum at Woolwich will be the best starting point.

Soldiers Died in the Great War (the book, not the CD) indicates that Harry Handel died at home in the UK. Reserve Batteries and Brigades were UK based units for training and very often men and officers invalided to the UK from theaters of war were assigned to Reserve Batteries and Brigades for administrative purposes and I would suspect that was what happened with Handel.

Many thanks for all this feedback. To give you some more background, I am looking into my family tree to

• find out the circumstances of HFH's death
  • whether there is any link to the composer (not yet proven)
Harry was only 34 when he died so he wasn't a pensioner in the traditional sense. It makes sense that he may have been invalided and was UK based when he died. To answer Robbie's question I have so far tracked back to his great-grandfather who was also English.

I will visit the Royal Artillery museum and see if they can provide any further info.

Cheers,

Pauline