The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Attrition: Fighting the First World War

If anyone has read this book by William Philpott (prof of the History of Warfare in the Department of War Studies, King's College London) I would be interested to hear your views.

I have ordered the book but I am abroad so will not see it for some days.

A year ago Philpott wrote an interesting critique of some publications relating to the Great War, written by Max Hastings, Margaret Macmillan and Allan Mallinson which was very insightful. I am not familiar with his published work, but given his position I suspect it will be an interesting read. I think it has just been released ( or re-released?).

MG

Martin

It's a new book, and it's on my wishlist. His 'Bloody Victory' is a very good examination of the 1916 Somme battles, providing a much-needed corrective of the Anglo-centric view, and stressing the French contribution to what was a collaborative effort.

• Admin

Flipped through it in Waterstones yesterday, looked interesting but was fighting for space with so many other titles, however as one reviewer has observed,

2013 – the year before the anniversary – saw a veritable glut of WWI-related histories, and 2014 has already seen an even greater number, with who knows how many to follow. Even the most dedicated student of the First World War will have some difficulty keeping up with all this centennial activity. But a handful of these books stand out for their heft and quality, and War of Attrition is one of those. Readers should snap it up – and Three Armies on the Somme too, if they haven’t read it already.

http://www.openlettersmonthly.com/book-review-war-of-attrition/

['Three Armies on the Somme' is an alternative title to 'Bloody Victory'.]

Still struggling with Margaret Macmillan's weighty tome so it will be a while before I get any new books but will be interested to hear your opinion.

Ken

Downloaded onto my kindle....I've read the first chapters, and am engrossed.

He's ambitious in his scope, keen to emphasise the political, diplomatic and economic aspects of attrition and lifting sights above the confines of the battlefield, although he makes plenty of allusions to the actual fighting, too.

Good personality vignettes of principal players....this looks good to me.

A more thorough review to follow after a couple of days or so.

Phil (PJA)