The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Absent Voters List - Tyneside

channelhopper

A request for Kate please ?

Are you able to assist please with a check on the Absent Voters List covering South Shields. The address is 64 Wapping Street. The name of the soldier is Michael Gaffney.

I am trying to confirm that the entry in both the Tyneside Irish book and Irish Heroes has been misprinted, which surely must happen when one compiles large lists of names.

It shows that 135 Pte T W Gaffney served with the 24th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers and I believe this to be 135 Pte Michael Gaffney. No MIC exists for a T Gaffney serving with the North'd Fus. Michael Gaffney also served with the Labour Corps so no Battalion is shown on the Medal Roll, Service records don't exist.

Here's hoping

Thanks

Peter

Peter

I think that my local library only has the Newcastle absent voters but I'll see what I can do.

You realise it will mean me crossing the river Tyne - but, for you, anything.

Kate

Kate - as your going anyway ... and presuming the list is like my local list (in Kent) and is alphabetical rather than by address - could you look for any details for the name TINDALE.

Hi Kate

I didnt mean to put you to so much trouble. I may be able to return the favour one day if there is anything you need from the York absent voters list. I can't say I have seen any men listed who served with the 6th NF yet !

Many Thanks

Peter

I will not be going across the river for a day or two. Will need to get compass bearings, rations, a guide and wait for the weather to turn. (Actually its not far to S. Shields at all. It's only a local joke about crossing the river).

Signals

You do mean that your man, Tindale, has South Shields as his NOK address not Newcastle? I know the Newcastle ones are listed by street.

Peter

The last thing you gave me was worth several trips backwards and forwards across the river.

So, no problem, as long as South Shields has an absent voters list, I will ferret it out and do my best for you both.

Kate

Signals

You do mean that your man, Tindale, has South Shields as his NOK address not Newcastle? I know the Newcastle ones are listed by street.

Kate - A relative of mine through marriage was born in South Shields in 1907 - he was one of the youngest of his family and had older brothers that could have been serving abroad in 1918. I dont know that the family were still living in South Shields but if, as I say, the list is alphabetical, then I would appreciate if you could look up the name. Another name I have just recalled is Rutherford.

Its purely speculative but you never know where a new lead might lead!!

If it will take you anytime, then please don't worry, and sorry for putting on you like this. If I can help in the south, just let me know.

Sigs

O.K. Signals. Will see what I can do but it won't be for a day or two.

Kate

No luck with the absent voters.

South Shields library have said that they did not list their forces voters separately but they are in the ordinary electoral rolls, listed by street.

Their status as a forces voter is marked beside their name in a column headed N & M (naval & military). On checking through them I found that there is no information about regiment, number or rank beside the names of these forces voters.

It has been useful to me to see this different way of recording the Forces voters but not much use to you I'm afraid.

Sorry

Kate

Kate - irrespective of whether you found anything of any use for me, I remain grateful that you tried.

Many thanks and all the best,

Sigs