The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Broadway Remembers

elewis

Broadway Remembers by Debbie Williamson. ISBN: 978-0-9929891-0-1

Recently there have been a number of books published commemorating the dead from various towns and villages, but this is an excellent and well researched book remembering the 48 men that died in the Great War remembered on the Broadway, Worcestershire, war memorial - which is local to me and accounts for my purchase.

After the introduction and a short chapter on the history of the war memorial there is a biography on each soldier containing background family history and details of his military service. Each chapter contains colour photographs of the grave or memorial and the vast bulk contain photographs of the fallen, with many chapters having additional related photographs from the period and several also having copies of letters or newspaper reports.

Additional appendices provide the same information on: 7 considered by the war memorial committee but rejected; 2 casualties buried in St Eadburgha’s churchyard that are not on the war memorial; 2 pupils remembered on the Broadway School memorial.

The author is also bold enough to accept that in a few cases that she cannot find the details rather than include “possible” information that might be incorrect.

One appendix details Frank Alfred Phillips who enlisted on 4th December 1914 aged only 17, under military age. A further appendix details the 4 men awarded the Military Medal.

Three further appendices tabulate: those killed that were either born at Broadway, or lived there at some time, but not covered in the previous chapters or appendices; Broadway men that enlisted in 1914; Broadway men serving in 1918.

It is a high quality 156 page paperback and in my view fully justifies the £20 cost (profits will be given to the British Legion Poppy Appeal).

Edited by Evan_L