The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Battle of Bellewaarde, June 1915

martinclift

Bellewaarde 1915 is pleased to announce the release of our book, The Battle of Bellewaarde, June 1915, by Carole McEntee-Taylor.

This publication has reached number 2 on the Pen & Sword Best Seller list.

All Author royalties will be going to the Bellewaarde 1915 Memorial Fund, so we would really appreciate it if you share this with GWF Pals and others who would be interested.

It was 2am on the 16th June 1915 and dawn was slowly breaking over Bellewaarde. It was exceptionally quiet, the troops of 3rd Division were situated on the western edge of Railway Wood and shrouded in a thick mist which reduced visibility and gave the illusion of safety. Across the few yards of no man's land, the German troops of Reserve Infantry Regiments (RIR) 248 and 246, and Unter-Elsässisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 132 were also blanketed in the thick damp mist. It swirled round their trenches, deadening sound and reinforcing the illusion that all was secure. Fifty minutes later the planned British artillery bombardment began. By the end of the day more than 4,000 men would be casualties on a field approximately half a mile square.

At the close of the 2nd Battles of Ypres, the German trenches between the Menin Road and the Ypres-Roulers railway formed a salient. From Bellewaarde ridge, situated on the eastern side of the lake, they were able to overlook the greater part of the ground east of Ypres. In early June it was decided to attack the salient, and take possession of Bellewaarde ridge. The attack was to be carried out by the 9th Brigade of the 3rd Division, with 7th Brigade in support.

The book is a tribute to those who fought and died at Bellewaarde on the 16th June 1915 and author royalties will be donated to a fund to help raise money for a memorial.

For more information and to purchase a copy from Pen & Sword, please follow this link: http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-Battle-of-Bellewaarde-June-1915-Hardback/p/7362

Please note that Amazon sold out last Saturday, 16th August 2014.

Thanks very much Martin for letting us know, I got interested in this battle whilst researching one of the local parish fallen, Lt Bobby Thornton of 4th Royal Fusiliers dying during this battle. He was the local JPs son, the family employing a lot of local people on their estate and news of Lt. Thornton's death brought the parish to a stand-still in mourning.

Glad the book is now out

Great website by the way, very informative

All the best

Jim

Many thanks, Jim.

If you have anything extra to add to the website, please let me know and I will add it as soon as I can.

Martin

Okay Martin,

I collected quite a bit on Thornton, pulled his officer's file from Kew and tracked him down in the local newspapers, have a great photo of him, I'll happily email you what I have

All the best

Jim

Looking forward to the book.

We walk and cycle the battle field all of the year and all seasons

Yorke Scarlett

I think it's excellent, well I would, wouldn't I, but Amazon has sold out and Pen and Sword, who publish the book, have us down as No.2 on the best seller list.

So I hope you find the book a good read.

Martin,

Have bought the book for my wife's birthday, she will be thrilled but she does have the Harry Lawson connection with the battle. See my post re Harry Lawson and the Lincolnshire Regiment elsewhere on the GWF site and the links under Soldiers on Martin's excellent website with the link on his post above #1.

Regards,

Steve Knox

Thanks for the kind words, Steve.

It's been a long time since we spoke last and as you can see, a lot has happened.

I'm not sure if you know, but the memorial will be placed at the Hooge Crater Museum, right side, next to the Menin Road and, of course, will be unveiled on 16th June 2015, the centenary.

We have a 3 day tour 15th, 16th and 17th June with a few spaces if you would like to join us? If not, I hope to see you there anyway.

Regards

Martin.

Hi, Keith

I think they may have gone, but if anyone wants one it can be purchased through the publisher, Pen and Sword.

We are now the No.1 on their Best Seller List!

Author royalties will go to the Bellewaarde 1915 Memorial Fund

Follow this link: http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-Battle-of-Bellewaarde-June-1915-Hardback/p/7362

Regards

Martin

Recently, elsewhere on the Forum, a few of us were lamenting the paucity of books on events in 1915 and hoped that the impending centenary might lead to this position being rectified.

You appear to be ahead of the curve Martin!

I look forward to reading the book, and congratulations on its clearly successful launch

David

Many thanks, David, it is really appreciated.

I should mention that the author is Carole McEntee-Taylor. She used my research for the book and not only has she made a cracking job of it, she is also donating her royalties to the memorial.

Martin

Martinclift,

An often visited part of the Salient - the museum etc - but I think a very misunderstood part of the area.

Look forward to reading from my publisher too.

Hi Martin

Glad to see the book has been published! I ordered a copy as soon as I saw it announced by Pen & Sword, it's next on my reading list. Looking forward to the trip next June

Regards

John

Just to try to illustrate Martin's point above about the value for observation of the Bellewaarde ridge here are two photographs The first was taken from about 20 m left of the RE Grave on the ridge showing the view across to the Menin road on the left and the railway line and Ypres to the right. The second was taken from Perth (China Wall) cemetery and shows the Railway Wood on the left and the RE Grave in the centre. The ridge is not high but the views are remarkable.

Pete.

post-101238-0-06903500-1408553343_thumb.

post-101238-0-86482000-1408553343_thumb.

Hi John

Saved me emailing you regarding the book.

I think its a great read and I am very proud of Carole, who has captured that day exactly how I would imagine it.

It wont be long now before the website will start to be updated, obviously this hasn't been done as we needed new information for the book and if I had added that to the site why would anyone want the book.

I too look forward to trip next year, but there is a lot to do.

We now have Paul Laidlaw, Antiques Expert, Auctioneer and BBC Expert on board, he is our patron, so I expect things to move forward quite quickly.

Speak soon

Thanks for the images, Pete, they explain the point very well.

It's quite interesting that the incline is not large, more of a long slope, but when waling the tarmac road you know you have done it. I can only imagine what it must have been like under shell fire with machinegun bullets whizzing around and clay to tramp on and don't forget, this would be at a charge with shell holes and barbed wire to contend with!

Book added to my list - another battle I am unfamiliar with; there is so much still to learn!

Web site is great too - thanks for posting.

Regards,

Ant

Jim.

Just sent you a PM

Regards

Martin

Hi Martin,

Sorry have been away for the week, without any internet coverage, I'll get the info re: Lt. Thornton to you tomorrow

Great news about the book and thanks for the photos Pete (as always), I thought the ridge was steeper than that. Hope to get there myself next year, to pay my respects to Thornton and the other lads

Glad the book is doing so well Martin

All the best, and be in touch soonest

Jim

I thought the ridge was steeper than that.

Jim

What I didn't post was the view from just the other side of Railway Wood looking north west and north. The feature comes off the higher ground that surrounds the town almost at a right angle. From the other side you can see a long way towards the canal and Potjize and Wieltje to the north west, and looking north you can se a long way towards St Juliaan and Langemark. The spur that Bellewaarde Farm sits on is not quite as subtle as say the Aubers ridge but the views are remarkable because as Martin points out the slope is shallow but consistent; there is no dead ground anywhere. By cooincidence one of my footballers, Harry Norris died 99 years ago today serving as a corporal in the 11th King's Liverpool. They were the pioneer battalion and their patch included the area shown in the view from the Perth Cemetery. I doubt if he ever got to see that view; it would be way too dangerous.

Pete.

Pete.

Brilliant thanks Pete, another place on the mounting list of sites to visit and pay my respects at. Hope all okay with you mate?

James

A picture paints a thousand words; even when they are as badly exposed as these two. These are the views that I mentioned in the earlier post; the cars in both photos follow the road on the line of the old railway. In the first one the edge of Railway Wood is on the left of shot and the canal is marked by the wind turbines. I think the crane on the horizon is in the industrial estate to the north of Ypres. I think that the front lines would have run across the fields to the centre of the second photograph. Either way it would have been prime real estate for German artillery spotters. All well at my end, hope it is the same at yours.

Pete.

post-101238-0-27546600-1409176249_thumb.

post-101238-0-14372000-1409176272_thumb.

Just bought the (currently) last copy on Amazon.

David

PS Greetings to my Pals, Messers Hastings and Fattyowls - interesting reading and viewing as always gentlemen