The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY

Guest landlubber

Guest landlubber

I am sure that someone might be able to point me in the right direction please. I am trying to narrow down the unit my wife's Grandfather served in in the RGA. IT is possible that he was with No. 11 Company, I do know that he was with the Hampshire Section. He was serving at Golden Hill Fort on the Isle of Wight in 1911 when he married and was recorded as a gunner RGA. During the First World War he was stationed on the Spitbank Fort in the middle of the 'Solent' bewteen the Isle of Wight and the mainland.

Would really apprecciate any help - Thanks

His name was Joseph Stewart, and his service No. is probably 13348 he was born on 16th June 1883.

For details of his battery it is not especially easy as there will not be a War Diary as such. Best bet is to make enquiry at the Royal Artillery Museum , Woolwich, who may be able to assist with home based coastal batteries.

Roop

I did not download his MIC but the rank "Bearer" is obviously an incorrect reading of the MIC by the person who uploaded the information. He is probably either a "Gunner" or a "Bombardier". His service number is a regular number characteristic of a pre-war RGA other rank. From the information you gave it would appear that he was a Gunner with No. 11 Company RGA in 1911. At the time this company was located at Golden Hill.

During the Great War "Spitbank Fort" was armed with two 4.7" Quick Firing Guns and was part of the Spithead Forts which were, in turn, a part of the Portsmouth Garrison of the Coast Artillery.

Regards. Dick Flory