The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Garrison Artillery

Guest landlubber

Guest landlubber

I am sure that someone might be able to point me in the right direction please. I am trying to narrow down the unit my wife's Grandfather served in in the RGA. IT is possible that he was with No. 11 Company, I do know that he was with the Hampshire Section. He was serving at Golden Hill Fort on the Isle of Wight in 1911 when he married and was recorded as a gunner RGA. During the First World War he was stationed on the Spitbank Fort in the middle of the 'Solent' bewteen the Isle of Wight and the mainland.

Would really apprecciate any help - Thanks

His name was Joseph Stewart, and his service No. is probably 13348 he was born on 16th June

The NA MIC Index shows the following Joseph Stewarts in the RGA. You will need to eliminate these either with other military detail or birth certificate for correct name or Army Service Records at the NA. For details of his battery it is not especially easy as there will not be a War Diary as such. Best bet is to make enquiry at the Royal Artillery Museum , Woolwich, who may be able to assist with home based coastal batteries.

Stewart, Joseph S

Royal Garrison Artillery

Gunner...

Stewart, Joseph B

Royal Garrison Artillery

Gunner

Stewart, Joseph

Royal Garrison Artillery

Gunner

Stewart, Joseph

Royal Garrison Artillery

Bearer