The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

My Grandmother's Uncle at Mons

Guest aries63

My Grandmother passed away in 2002 at the ripe age of 94. She often spoke of her Uncle "Jock", of whom she was especially fond as a child. He was killed at Mons (presumably in 1914), and was, according to my Gran, "just a poor cook." Gran's family was born, raised, and lived around the Blantyre Area of Lanarkshire, and were almost all coal miners. I'm not certain if Uncle Jock was Maternal or Paternal, but My great Grandmother's maiden name was Rooney, and my Gran's family name was McDonald. I have searched CWGC's website, and there are quite a few casualties under "John McDonald"; "J. McDonald" and John or J Rooney. I've come to a dead end. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Steve McGuire

I've checked the CWGC site for you again and these are the possibilities assuming that the name is correct:

Name: MACDONALD

Initials: J T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: 15th (The King's) Hussars

Date of Death: 24/08/1914

Service No: 6112

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 23.

Cemetery: HAUTRAGE MILITARY CEMETERY this is a 'Mons' cemetery

Name: MACDONALD, JAMES

Initials: J

Regiment: Scots Guards

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 26/10/1914

Service No: 6903

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 11

Cemetery: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Name: MACDONALD, JOHN

Initials: J

Regiment: Royal Scots Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 11/11/1914

Service No: 6913

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 19 and 33

Cemetery: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

I have excluded two other MacDonalds as both were from Stornoway in the islands and another in the Somersets as a Jock would have joined his local regt in 1914. It's also very probable that he was a regular or at least a territorial as no volunteers fought at Mons - even the reservists didn't make it over in time.

There are no records of a 'J Rooney' being listed as KIA in 1914.

I'd suggest adding anoter posting asking one of the Pals to do a SDGW look-up for you on the chaps above - easy now you have the service numbers. After that, it's time to visit the PRO in Kew and check the microfilms for service records of the men above but you have a <50% chance of sucess here as so many were burned in WW2 bombing raids.

Also get in touch with the regt museums as these often have more on regulars than volunteers and check the PRO website for the 1909 census as this may also help narrow down your search. Good luck! ;)

even the reservists didn't make it over in time.

Hello Mcderms

This statement isn't quite true. The 2/KOYLI had upwards of 300 reservists amongst their number when they landed at Le Havre on 16th August and took part in actions near Mons and Le Cateau during the period 22nd - 29th August.

Andy

SDGW in the order that Mcderm listed the three men.

1. John Thompson Macdonald 15th Kings Hussars

Born: Ardwick

Enlisted: Guilford

Resident: Chaddleton, Staffs

KIA

2. James Macdonald

Scots Guards

Born: Inverness

Enlisted: Inverness

KIA

3. John Macdonald 1st Bn. Royal Scots Fusiliers

Born: Macduff, Banffshire

Enlisted Glasgow

Died

Steve

It could be very difficult to trace this man out of the blue. Your grandmother's uncle could have been the son of a female married member of either family - I can't see there is any certainty that he was either a Rooney or a MacDonald - 'uncle' could well mean either 'great-uncle' or 'older cousin.' To be sure, you would have to go the way of family history - work back from what you know - get marriage and birth certificates along the way, and check things like parish registers. Otherwise you may get a great deal of information about the wrong man.

I would start with a 'phone call to as many distant relations as possible!

Sue

Edited by SueL