The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

M.I.C. Additional Information

Guest michael7

I have just downloaded the medal index card for Pte. John Hunter King's Liverpool Regiment and underneath the medal list is a handwritten line S B B List L B F 5188.Does anyone have any idea what it may mean?Thanks.

Michael

Can you post a picture?

I think it should read SWB List which indicates that he was 'awarded' the Silver War Badge, i.e. discharged from the service due to wounds received or illness etc.

Steve

Thanks Steve, you're right it does and I have a copy of his honourable discharge certificate which would back this up.I've put a copy of the MIC up so if there's any other information that it tells me perhaps you could let me know.Cheers

post-1-1098865291.jpg

Michael

The MIC indicates he entered the war after 1st January 1916 (as no entitlement to a Star is shown, unless it's on a separate MIC) and qualified for the British War and Victory Medals.

He was originally in the Liverpool Regt. but was transferred to the Labour Corps, presumably after a wound or illness and was discharged from there.

I think I'm correct in saying that the references shown for the medals and SWB indicate that he is listed on the Labour Corps Rolls.

Hope this helps

Steve

Michael,

I think the Liverpool Regiment number indicates that he was serving with a Territorial Battalion, and didn't enter a theatre of war until 1917 (When these 6 digit numbers were introduced). The SWB list details appear to be LC/5188 rather than LBF5188

Regards

Gavin

Thanks very much for the replies, I have a local newspaper report stating that he was wounded in France on Boxing Day 1917 and was sent back to Nottingham general hospital and after his recovery was transferred to the labour corps.He definitely served in the 7th battalion King's Liverpool Regiment and there was a family story that he had been gassed but I've no idea if this is true.Thanks again for all the helpful replies