The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Humphrey Cobb

Guest Bigorca

I am a Toronto author of a variety of books asscoiated with Canadian history, and during my researches have discovered an unpublished novella by Humphrey Cobb, the author of "Paths of Glory" which is better known to most people in its film version, starring Kirk Douglas and directed by Stanley Kubrick. The unpublished novella, which my publisher hopes to release a year from now with my Introduction, is of interest on several counts, not least being that the characters are entirely Canadian, and the two protagonists fight as part of the CEF at the Western Front. The battles scenes are especially well written and gripping.

Cobb, although an American, fought with the Royal Montreal Regiment. He was wounded twice and gassed once. Alas, I have been unable to find many biographical facts or profiles of Cobb, and so write to request that members of this Forum alert me should they find anything. Naturally I have obtained his full file from the NAC, and have examined the usual literary sources for biog info on authors. I would especially love to find a photo of Cobb in uniform. He signed up with the 244th in Montreal on Sept 30, 1916, was transferred at Shorncliffe to the 23rd Reserve, and then shortly thereafter to the 22nd Reserve before assignation to the 14th Battalion with which he fought in France and Flanders until the Armistice. He was demobbed in Montreal on May 31, 1919. All contributions will happily be acknowledged in the book.

Welcome to the Forum.

I am envious of the discovery of the novella.

I hope that chris.wight and Juice see this, as they are Québec members who may be able to tell you more about the 14th Battalion. I believe many English-speaking men of Québec would have served with the 14th, as opposed to the French speakers, who mostly went to the 22nd (Van Doos).

Peter in Vancouver

I hope that chris.wight and Juice see this, as they are Québec members who may be able to tell you more about the 14th Battalion. I believe many English-speaking men of Québec would have served with the 14th, as opposed to the French speakers, who mostly went to the 22nd (Van Doos).

Peter in Vancouver

Curiously, there were quite a few fellows from my neck of the woods who ended up with this unit. In fact, my (hopelessly incomplete) files currently show 43 men from Edmonton units who died with the 14th!

Sorry to veer off the main topic.

Hi Bigorca, welcome to the Forum!

I just received the 14th's Battalion history in today's mail and I'll have a look through to see if there is any mention of him. Have you read through the 14th's on-line war diary? I would also suggest getting a copy of the book, "Scouting Thrills" written by Captain George B. McKean, VC, MC, MM of the 14th. Charles Yale Harrison wrote "Generals die in bed: A story from the trenches". I haven't bought it yet and am not sure if it is autobiographical or not but Harrison served with the 14th Battalion in France and was wounded in Amiens. Both of these books are still in print, the McKean book can be bought from Norm Christie's CEF Books.

I'd also suggest getting in touch with the Regimental Historian of the Royal Montreal Regiment. They have a well done website and a real interest in the Regiment's history.

A final thought, you could always email Norm Christie at CEF books and see if he could provide some help.

Chris Wight, thank you for the helpful suggestions. The literary merits of the Charles Yale Harrison book are often over-rated, in my opinion--the title is the most memorable part of the tome. It's not a terrible book, just OK. Still, it is one of the better-known WWI volumes which will be discussed in my Introduction to the Humphrey Cobb book to give the Cobb some context. I haven't read the 14th's diary online yet. Thanks for reminding me. As for the Royal Montreal Regiment, your luck has been better than mine. I've sent emails to the senior officers listed on their website but all have bounced back, and no one returns my phone calls. I'll have to use snail mail I guess.

Beppo Sapone--yes, we are talking about the same Humphrey Cobb. I have his complete file from the NAC, but it doesn't reveal much. Cobb's parents were Bostonian originally, but were living in Florence, Italy for some years before the War. Indeed, they lived in Casa Guidi which had been the home of Robert and Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

• 2 weeks later...

Bigorca,

Just to confirm to you: the Royal Montreal Regiment is alive and well in the St-Catherine West garrison, in Montreal. Too bad you did not have any chance thru e-mails. Phone: 514-496-2003

There are several memorials across the city to the men who served with the 14th battalion (for example, in the stairway of the University Club and in the hallway of the Royal Montreal Golf Club, to name a few) Originally, the 3 militia regiments of Montreal (Carabiniers Mont-Royal, Grenadiers Guards and Victoria Rifles) formed the RMR. Later reinforcments came from across Canada and in some cases the U.S.

Good luck in your project.

Juice