The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Italian Greatcoat

gregory128

Hello, i have recently acquired this greatcoat for £70 at an antiques fair. I have reason to believe its either WW1 or interwar era. The uniform's collar comes in two seams, the front one being made from gold thread and the one in the rear being colored purple. The greatcoat itself is dark blue, but the fabric is off the highest quality and the interior is made off black silk. However, i can find no label. The jacket has two very large pockets along with one sword slit. The jacket is double breasted with 5 buttons either side forming into a V shape. The cuffs contain 3 smaller livery buttons and a purple seam. In addition, the backs of the buttons have the name of the company written on them which is "Bomisa, Milano", making me believe this a a military made jacket as the company primarily focused on military buttons during its production time. I know the company was started in the 1920's, but nevertheless, the buttons could have been replaced. In my opinion, i believe its possibly related to Emmanuelle III of Italy because:

A = Sword slit representing that this is not a butlers outfit, but of someone with a high status.
B = Purple traditionally being the color for the monarchy.
C = Emmanuelle III always preferred to wear double breasted greatcoats because he was afraid of having his throat slit.
D = Italy in the middle ages was a big export for silk, and as a result the silk lining may suggest this was to show the greatcoats quality and italy's influence.
E = Greatcoats have always been a symbol of power throughout continental Europe again suggesting that this belonged to someone important.
My question is, what do you lot all think? Im primarily basing my thoughts on the quality of the item, but then again, i am no expert in 20th century italian uniforms, and for this reason i was wondering does anyone else have any other suggestions?

post-112190-0-06596600-1409782524_thumb.