The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

One for KLR experts

JulianB

I've recently come across something signed in August 1914 by Prof JR Harvey Gibson. He was a prof at Liverpool University and as there was no Lpl Univ OTC he took a detachment of Lpl students off to Manchester Univ which did have an OTC.

However, he signed a form as

Mem[ber] West Lancs TFA, Major, Caid Batt KLR'

Can anyone tell me what the Caid Battalion was ??

thanks

Julian

Is it possible that CAID is an incorrectly or unclearly written abbreviation for CADET?

The King's (Liverpool Regiment) had the Liverpool Collegiate School Cadets recognized in 1915 and affiliated to the 6th.TF Batt. This was not an OTC unit until 1925.

Dave

The Kings Regt had a Cadet Battalion formed in 1890 Headquarters 4 beaconsfield Street Princes Road. ( See West Lancs Division book pubished 1911 )

They had a distinctive shoulder title1/C/KINGS.

Peter Brydon

Dave and Peter,

Thank you very much. I haven't had time to get back to this until now and, yes, it is Cadet (bar on the t missing, but obvious really).

I'm not sure what the Liverpool Collegiate Schools were (do you mean 'Liverpool College' school) but if not formed until 1915 would not be them.

A 'cadet battalion' of KLR formed in 1890 sounds much more likely. Peter, could you give me details of the book you mention, and if your knowledge of this battalion extends to after 1911, could you tell me what happened to them, they obviously still existed in August 1914.

The only OTCs that I have read about are the Liverpool Institute (school) one, a few bits in Tiffen, HJ, 1935, A History of the Liverpool Institute Schools 1825 to 1935, The Liverpool Institute Old Boys Association, Liverpool.

and there is a draught history of the Lpl Univ OTC, which wasn't really formed until 1919 by Routledge, FJ, & Ricketts, AN, History of the Liverpool University Officer’s Training Corps, unpublished typescript, Liverpool University Archives.

(‘Begun by the late Major FJ Routledge MBE TD and expanded and completed by AN Ricketts’). Also some bits in Kelly, T, 1981, For the Advancement of Learning: The University of Liverpool 1881-1981, Liverpool University Press, Liverpool.

thanks

Julian

Julian,

I attach a ( poor ) photo of my Kings Liverpool OTC and Cadet collection which might be of interest.

The Liverpool College was originally known as the liverpool Collegiate Institution which was the title worn on their first cap badge.

If you can E mail me your details ( peter.brydon@btinternet.com) I will send you some photocopies from various sources on Liverpool Cadets which may be of interest.

The West Lancs Division bokk 1911 is pretty rare,I only have a copy of it

Peter Brydon

post-2-1099294110.jpg