The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Assembly looms

john w.

Ok its an awful title, but I cant think of a better way of putting this!

On 11th November I am giving an Assembly on Remembrance.

My problem is that 80% of the audience although British born are Asian or Afro Caribbean. The rest being minority ethnic and white.

Can any of the PALS furnish me with anything relating to the Asian or Afro CAribbean community that is positive that I can use in my delivery?

I am conscious that we may understate their contribution at this time

Photo/story anything would be of help here.

I just want to try and redress the balance a bit, if you see what I mean ;)

John

John

Primary or Secondary?

Steve

How about relating the story of Walter Tull. It is an inspiring achievement, and the football connection may be an additional attraction for youngsters.

Here is the feature on Khudadad Khan from my latest tour guidebook:

Khudadad Khan, Victoria Cross

Khudadad Khan was born in 1888 in the Punjab, then part of British-ruled India. In August 1914 his regiment, the 129th Baluchis, was sent from its base in the Punjab to the Western Front. Arriving in the front line on 21st October the Baluchis and the 57th Wilde’s Rifles were the first Indian Army units to see action in the First World War. On 26th October the Baluchis came under heavy attack near the village of Hollebeke. Khudadad Khan was a member of the crew of one of the Baluchis’ two machine guns. When the rest of the crew was killed Khudadad Khan fought on alone, covering the Baluchis’ withdrawal and causing considerable losses to the enemy. Although badly wounded he managed to rejoin his unit after rendering his machine gun inoperable. Khudadad Khan was the first member of the Indian Army born in the sub-continent to win the Victoria Cross, the highest British award for gallantry. He received the award from King George V at Buckingham Palace in January 1915. He died in Pakistan in 1971 at the age of 82.

The Victoria Cross was instituted in 1856. Queen Victoria chose the design and insisted on the inscription ‘For Valour’, rather than ‘For Bravery’. She is alleged to have said “All my soldiers are brave” Each cross is made from metal taken from Russian cannon captured during the Crimean War.

To date there have been 1,300 recipients of the most famous medal in the world. 40 are buried or commemorated in the Ypres Salient, including Captain Noel Chavasse one of only three men to win the VC twice.

post-1-1098945632.jpg