The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Richard Wild NZEF

Mark Hone

Some time ago a Forum contributor kindly sent me additional details about Bury Grammar School boys who died at Gallipoli. One of the most intriguing is Private Richard Wild (aka 'Wild Dick'!) who had emigrated to NZ in 1908 and died serving with 6th (Hauraki) Company of the Auckland Battalion on 10th May 1915. By one of the ironies of war he is buried in Lancashire Landing Cemetery. He had been a pre-war member of the Lancashire Fusiliers Volunteer battalion, as well as a member of our school OTC (now CCF) which was affiliated to the Fusiliers.

The information I have on Wild indicates that an article on him was published in the Auckland Weekly News of 10th June 1915, and letters written by him appeared in the Canterbury Times of 7th July 1915, and the Auckland Weekly News of 8th July. I would be most interested to gain copies of these articles. There is a vague possibility of a visit to Gallipoli next year, (as well as a 90th Anniversary 'Gallipoli Sunday' in Bury itself) and I would love to have as much information on him before a visit is made to his grave.

I'll get the Auckland Weekly News articles for you, from the microfilm, sometime in the next two weeks, but can't help with the Canterbury Times (unless there is a film of that too.)

Christine

Well, I had free time today so went into Auckland Museum and looked at the AWN.

Surname WILD

Given Name Richard Norris

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 12/491

Rank Private

Body or Draft Main Body

Unit or Regiment Auckland Infantry Batln

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address Royal Hotel Morrinsville

Next of Kin Title Mrs Charlotte

Next of Kin Surname WILD

Next of Kin Address Limefield Bury Lancashire England

First the reference for the 10th June is not for him.

There is a small head & shoulders photo of Sgt R H Wild 1st Canterbury Reg't, wounded.

By then Richard Norris was dead!

This is probably

Surname WILD

Given Name Richard Henry

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 6/736

Rank Sergeant

Body or Draft Main Body

Unit or Regiment Canterbury Infantry Batln

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address Hokitika

Next of Kin Title R

Next of Kin Surname WILD

Next of Kin Relationship Father

Next of Kin Address Hokitika

and I think the letter in the Canterbury paper is probably from him.

But I did find the letter in the AWN. It is just an extract from a letter, commenting on the death of Colonel Stuckey, a NZ commander.

I also found some information about the day of his death, and am sending it direct.

He was in the same Company as my great uncle, who was a Captain of the 6th Hauraki Coy- Captain Sinel. He was involved in the same action, to cross the Daisy Patch and capture Achi Baba, but he survived, whereas Richard Wild and many others died

post-1-1098944560.jpg

The Daisy Patch at Helles, from "Anzac" by Christopher Pugsley

post-1-1098945193.jpg

Richard Norris Wild's letter; AWN 8 July 1915

post-1-1098948872.jpg

Wow-Thank you Christine. I already have Wild's army service record (which I luckily obtained from NZ before they started charging hefty admin costs!). I wiil peruse all the inforamtion carefully. It helps build up a detailed picture of this man which we can use in our 90th anniversary of Gallipoli project. As I said there is a remote possibility that we amy be visiting Gallipoli in the not too distant future.

Mark, I tried to send this by email, but it wouldn't go through so I have reduced it and am posting it here.

pages 36, 37 of The Auckland Regiment NZEF 1914-1918 by OE Burton

post-1-1098953103.jpg

pages 38 and 39 Auckland Regiment OE Burton

post-1-1098953708.jpg