The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Fair dealing

David Filsell

One or two of the posts above mention selling on EBay, and I agree that this can be an effective method, however you actually need to have people searching for (or finding by accident) the book on there. I have many tales of searching for a particular volume for years, spotting it on Ebay and finding I was the sole bidder, therefore getting the book at the minimum price

One or two of the posts above mention selling on EBay, and I agree that this can be an effective method, however you actually need to have people searching for (or finding by accident) the book on there. I have many tales of searching for a particular volume for years, spotting it on Ebay and finding I was the sole bidder, therefore getting the book at the minimum price

This is true for amazon, book fairs, book shops, somebody has to find the book there, want it, and pay the price.

So the book has found its price, not some unrealistic price someone once paid or a made up fantasy figure put on it by a dealer.

There is a 50 post limit which apparently anyone above Corporal!!! can post in.Seriously, I guess folks think other folks already have the books in question due to the assumed owned massive libraries. I enjoy reading about WW1 but only found this forum after a dedicated search for WW1 forums and I am not an Internet neophyte. So there may be quite a few folks interested in WW1 out there.

If the books are naval or air related then I know a number of forums someone could post for-sale in.

If it is not against the rules I would ask you for a list for anything naval or aerial maritime. But I am new and trying to avoid the ban hammer.

NB: I recently purchased four naval related books on Amazon, Ebay, Abebooks and direct publisher/author site purchase. All good deals as well.

All,

I read with interest that some individuals are ordering books from libraries and copying every page or selling books after they had copied all of the pages. I would remind readers that if a book is in copyright such a practice is not only copyright infringement it is immoral to boot. I spend years researching (at great cost) and publish all my books myself and have stumped up the money to get them printed and thus would take a dim view of anyone who contravened my rights under copyright law. All my publications contain the following:-

"All rights reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise without either prior permission of the publishers or a licence permitting restricted copying by the Copyright Licensing Agency, Saffron House, 6-10 Kirby Street, London EC1N 8TS. This book may not be lent, resold, hired out or otherwise disposed of by way of trade in any form of binding or cover other than that in which it is published without the prior permission of the author."

Promenade

You can say all that but I don't think it worries anyone, if someone is spending a considerable amount of time scanning or photocopying surely it would only be those of quality.

Yes I can I can and I have - it worries ME - there is a principle here and quality is not part of the equation!

The decrease in the cost of reproduction of books, in violation of copyright (10p per sheet to photocopy was often prohibitive - scanning is free and the resulting files can be shared easily), is a threat to those of us who go to print.

It is not the bootlegger's time I am worried about it is my initial time (which is greater than the time to scan a book by orders of magnitude) to say nothing of my expenditure!

I have a book in preparation detailing the 1000+ officers killed on 1/7/16 - which I have worked on for over 10 years and will fund out of my own pocket - why should I bother if it will get bootlegged and if the act of bootlegging, as you believe, will not worry anyone? Will I be better off going through N&MP and down the 'copy protected DVD/CD route'?

Ironically the title of this thread is 'fair dealing'!

I have to agree with Promenade. If people don't get a fair return for the work they put in then we won't get all these wonderful books to read. Books are still one of the cheapest forms of entertainment and authors rarely get a decent return on their time.

I'd be interested to get a copy of your book on the First Day on the Somme.

All,

I read with interest that some individuals are ordering books from libraries and copying every page or selling books after they had copied all of the pages. I would remind readers that if a book is in copyright such a practice is not only copyright infringement it is immoral to boot.

Promenade

While I have deep sympathy with the moral arguments, your view has no grounding in UK Law with regards to copying for personal consumption. I don't believe anyone has suggested on this thread that they would copy in order to sell. One also needs to be aware of UK copyright law v US copyright law. There are publishers in the UK that (legally) make lots of money from books where copyright has expired. Copyright is not indefinite in the UK. If it is for personal research you can copy anything you like. You simply can't pass the copy on. There are also big differences between copyright and Crown Copyright in the UK. Crown Copyright material can be copied under a number of criteria - research, review for criticism, etc. and there is no immorality. The Govt actively encourages it.

UK copyright law is a complete mess and despite recent attempts to review it, little has changed. Our rather antiquated laws have been overtaken by technological changes. I doubt very much that a person copying a book from a library for personal consumption would ever be prosecuted in the UK. MG

Yes I can I can and I have - it worries ME - there is a principle here and quality is not part of the equation!

The decrease in the cost of reproduction of books, in violation of copyright (10p per sheet to photocopy was often prohibitive - scanning is free and the resulting files can be shared easily), is a threat to those of us who go to print.

It is not the bootlegger's time I am worried about it is my initial time (which is greater than the time to scan a book by orders of magnitude) to say nothing of my expenditure!

I have a book in preparation detailing the 1000+ officers killed on 1/7/16 - which I have worked on for over 10 years and will fund out of my own pocket - why should I bother if it will get bootlegged and if the act of bootlegging, as you believe, will not worry anyone? Will I be better off going through N&MP and down the 'copy protected DVD/CD route'?

Ironically the title of this thread is 'fair dealing'!

My point was that it doesn't worry the people copying the work, the only person it immediately concerns is the author and publisher. Has anyone here heard of anyone prosecuted for the photocopying or scanning a book for their own use in the UK? By the way I don't condone it.

I suppose that everyone writing a factual book on WW1 will be copying someone else's work to a greater or lesser extent, whether it is Official Histories, newsapaper reports, diaries or letters.

Thanks for the continues contributions. I sold a number of paperbacks this week at the Surrey WFA branch meeting and handed over a few more for the branch raffle. I now have half one 3 foot shelf clear!