The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Fair dealing

David Filsell

I fear I will soon be forced to cull my book collection, mainly Great War but also WW 2 plus military aviation and other wars. (And other 'stuff too). I understand dealers must profit by their activities but who is who is the fairest of them all? What are the experiences of forum it's selling via the forum. What about the risk of auctions?I don't want to gouge anybody, they were not bought as an investment but like many of us I want a fair price. If anyone should ask, I have not started the painful duty of listing those who must seek shelves anew.

I sell all my surplus books to Tom Donovan who's always been very fair. Would probably only want the rarer stuff though.

It depends how much effort you will live with. If you can be doing with the hassle of wrapping and posting individual titles then Amazon marketplace offers free listing, easy suspension of sales for holidays etc., and charges come only when an item is sold. for quick clearance ebay is an option - either as auction or buy it now, although there are probably still up front charges for the latter. alternatively, for the great War titles only, if you don't mind posting individual titles you could put a list with prices up in the Sales section, with a time limit. That is free to members with over 50 posts. Or of course, come to the GWF conference next March and sell them there.

Alternatively – I’m sure Tom Donovan would be good for most older titles, not sure about the more recent ones.

Keith