The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

For Bravery in the Field

HarryBettsMCDCM

I am the fortunate custodian of a pair of Military Medal groups,awarded to two Brothers,from Victoria Park,East London.

The first comprises :

The Military Medal,British War & Victory Medals, & St John Of Jerusalem Ambulance Association 1902 Coronation Medal of Edward VII.

The Awards of:68250,Corporal,John Flexon,108 Field Ambulance RAMC,Gazetted December 1916 for The Somme.John Flexon,A Confectioner from Victoria Park & StJAB Corporal @ the time of the 1902 Coronation,served in France & Recieved a Severe Back Wound,He was according to his Son,with whom I corresponded some Years hence a POW @ Sagan{Poland},& I have a Photograph of him with another British RAMC Soldier & A Number of Russian Officers,purportedly taken there.he continued to serve post war with the 10th London Hackney Rifles,Rising to the steady height of Bandmaster,I have a series of Photos taken in the Twenties of him with the 10th London TF/TA;Band{ He was Trombonist}in 1939 he volunteered for Active Service but due to his advanced years was turned down.

The second group is the

Military Medal,British War & Victory Medals awarded to his younger Brother,Albert Flexon,A Tailor;He had enlisted into the 22nd Welsh Regiment,posted to the Reserve,but was transferred to the Machine Gun Corps,being Posted to the 6th Battalion MGC; in 1918 & posted abroad just two months before winning the MM,being Wounded & being sent back to the UK prior to Discharge due to his Wounds,sadly he did not recover fully & died as a result of his wounds in the early 1930s.having spent his last years living with his Brother John & his Family,

I wonder how many examples are known of Siblings being awarded Gallantry Awards,{apart from the Reknown VC & VC/GC Winners}

With the Russians,@ Sagan;John Flexon is the British NCO 2nd in from the right[facing}with the "Tache'"

I wonder how many examples are known of Siblings being awarded Gallantry Awards

Coincidence really but came across these brothers by chance last night, both St. Neots men.

Alfred Smith, Royal Fusiliers awarded the DCM and his brother Arthur, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, awarded the MM.

No other details as yet.

Steve

I know of Captain Harry Godfrey Massy-Miles MC, RAMC attached to the 8th London, and his brother Lt Alfred William Massy-Miles MC, who I think was in the Royal Artillery. Alfred survived, Harry was killed.