The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Memoirs of 1st or 8th Seaforth

hazelclark

I wonder if anyone is aware of any memoirs by members of the 8th Seaforth or any other Bn.s of the 44th Brigade in the 15th Scottish Div.? The latter comprised the 7th Camerons, 8th Gordons and 9th Black Watch, besides the 8th Seaforth. I do have a copy of Lt.Turing's Diary.

thanks,

Hazel

• 1 month later...

Good luck in your search Hazel.

With all the various avenues of research so many folk on the forum have done over the years I'd have thought someone, if not several people, would have made a spreadsheet of all the known published 1st hand accounts of the war, listed by regiment then battalion?

Cheers,

Derek.

[EDIT]

The Highlanders museum have a diary kept between 5th Sept. 1914 - 31st Oct. 1918 by: 3615 Pte Thomas Alexander of the 5th Platoon 'B' Company of the 8th Seaforths.

Several excerpts are available to view on their website here

Here's a 9th Black Watch memoir, up til 1917 anyway.

A.W. McGregor: Rhodes Scholar - Oriel College, Oxford 2nd Lieutenant, 9th Black Watch, A Memoir.

by A.J. McGregor

Description: Cape Town: Privately Published, 1917. "The greater portion of the book (pp.75-175) consists of his letters while serving with the Black watch in France."

Printed in South Africa and the only two copies for sale online are both there.

If i had a spare hundred quid kicking about, i'd be interested to have it.

Also the personal diary of Lt-Col John Stewart was opened at thre Black Watch museum earlier this year. He served in the 9th Btn between them going over to France in 1915 and joining the 2nd Btn in 1917 in Mespot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-25653318

Good luck in your search Hazel.

With all the various avenues of research so many folk on the forum have done over the years I'd have thought someone, if not several people, would have made a spreadsheet of all the known published 1st hand accounts of the war, listed by regiment then battalion?

Cheers,

Derek.

[EDIT]

The Highlanders museum have a diary kept between 5th Sept. 1914 - 31st Oct. 1918 by: 3615 Pte Thomas Alexander of the 5th Platoon 'B' Company of the 8th Seaforths.

Several excerpts are available to view on their website here

Thanks Derek,

Responded to your P.M. I did think that there must be SOMETHING out there! Have hunted the various book stores and sites with not much luck. "Last Man Standing" was the closest.

Hazel