The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"The British Army 1914-1918"

Steven Broomfield

I have seen a review (well, more an outline of content) of a book called "The British Army 1914-1918" by Andrew rawson. Use of the forum search facility (definitely an art, not a science) reveals that Mr rawson has written some Battleground Europe titles, but this book appears not to have been reviewed.

It is priced at £16.99 and is published by Spellmount. According to the blurb the book covers such things as divisional organisation, the Imperial Service commitment, tactics, uniforms, rations, the responsibilities of rank, etc, etc.

It has a ringing endorsement on the cover by Dr John Bourne, "Vice President of the Western Front Association".

Anyone seen this? On the face of it for less than seventeen notes it looks a must-have, but then i think if it's that cheap there must be something wrong ...

I have a first edition (2006) by Sutton Pulishing given to me some years ago in return for some research I did on a local man. All in all it's a good book and covers many aspects of the GW in one volume although it does lack indepth content for the serious researcher. The book's pages are graced with many IWM photos not usually seen in similar publications and its well laid out although the index could have been better. I'd reccommend a copy at that price

Jon

One of the people recommending it has a badge........ :ph34r:

Thanks all. Having had some expensive outlays lately I might give it a miss, but if I stumble across it somewhere I might be tempted, I suppose.