The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Soldier training

Guest djohn

I was hoping that someone could help me with the following problem. I know that initially soldiers were trained for 12 months and had to be 19 years old before being posted to the Western Front. Later in the war these conditions were changed mainly due to the shortage of frontline troops. I am trying to estimate when my Father would have seen active service so that I can look up the relevent War Diary entries.

He was 18 years old on the 3rd. July 1917 and was wounded on 7th. April 1918. His records no longer exist and the Medal Roll gives no information. He was posted to the 2nd Battalion of the Rifle Brigade and when he was discharged from hospital he was re-assigned to the Labour Corp. as unfit for frontline duty.

How early could he have been posted to the Western Front?

Many thanks.

David John

Also on the mother site of The Long Long Trail is the diary of Infantry Pvt William Dea including a transcription of his paybook which shows he was conscripted Mar 1917 trained, disembarked in France Jun 1917 further trained and entered combat Jul 1917. This is 4 months approximately.

There had to be many variables, early in the war, when there was time, there was probably longer training later, due to urgency, far less. This example is 1917.

Also training in a specialty if applicable must have taken longer to complete.