The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Officers of 242nd Bte RFA Ammunition Column

Guest billysiv

I have included on my attachment details of the officers of the above unit who signed my grandfathers pay book in the field during the years 1917 and 1918.

Along with some questions about things which I do not understand.

I hope the information will be of use to someone and will be extremely gratefull if anyone can help by answering any of the questions to further my understanding of the details contained in the pay book and in general about the operation of an Ammunition Column.

Bill

The_officers_of_242_Bde_RFA.doc

As far as Group 26 is concerned, this is almost certainly his demobilisation group. Men were placed into industrial, or employment groups for discharge, unfortunately I do not have the complete list. To give you an idea, Group 24 were Tin Plate manufacturers, Group 28 China, Glass and Pottery trades.

Terry Reeves

Bill,

Marling drills were of the Auger type similar to those used for putting up telephone posts. However, it may also have been able to drill horizontally and it may be it was in connection with a tunnelling company as I am aware that machines were developed for this purpose.

The rank of Driver would initially be on the lead horse of a team of 4 or 6 pulling a cart or whatever. A second "driver" would be seated on one of the horses behind the driver ie postillion. The ammo column would at soem times be involved in removing and replacing guns but mostly if they were going for repairs etc. The battery itself was in charge of positioning the gun and "hooking in" to move out again.

The role of an ammunition column driver was extremely hazardous because the German artillery knew that these supplies had to be moved along known routes and so put down harassing fire from their artillery. This would be a mixture of HE and shrapnel which obviously is not a good combination with a truck load of shells.

Basic training for most recruits was marching, drill square, bayonet practice etc. He would obviously be skilled with horses , thats why he ended up as a driver.Length of training varied according to the availablility of arms, uniforms and Army requirements.

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=21829&hl=

Other chums, Im sure, will have more detail to add.

Roop

Thanks Terry and Roop, I'm a bit more in the picture now.

How do I find out where his unit were in 1917. I believe that most of the division were posted to Italy but obviously not his Bte as he was on leave in Blighty once in for 10 days in July 1917 and again for 14 days in Feb 1918. So they must have been in France or Belgium perhaps.

Bill

Hi Bill

I have an interest in 242 Brigade as Gunner Davis, one of my great Uncles, served and died with them in 1918. They were originally with the 48th Division - 3rd South Midland Brigade, serving in France.

January 1916 saw them transferred 242 RFA Brigade. Whilst the Division went to Italy at the end of 1917, 242 Brigade remained on the Western Front.

The Brigade's "story" is told in the book 'Before the Echoes Die Away' by NDG James. This book is out of print, but 2nd hand copies are available. I obtained a copy in good condition a few months ago, through this website below.It came by return of post.

Hope this helps.

Hilary

http://www.abebooks.co.uk

Thanks Hilary, it's good to know that I'm not on my own with an interest in this unit. I clicked on the link you gave me but the search provided nothing,

Do you think I might get a copy if I keep trying. How did you find out about the book? I wonder if my local library might be able to get it for me.

It seems that this book is my best chance of finding out what my Grandfather was up to and whereabouts he may have been. I did realise that when the rest of the division went to Italy his unit obviously didn't, and assumed that he spent most of his war on the Western Front but I would like to know more.

Do you know was there just one Ammunition column which served the whole of the brigade or was it split into smaller units which supplied different batteries.

His pay book is signed fairly frequently by the C.O. as well as various Lt's.

Thanks once again

Bill

Hi Billy

Thanks for response, I have just searched in the link I gave and came up with 6 books! ranging from £30 to £50. Click on the link again and only type in the title, don't put in author, then you should find the books. Hope you are successful.

Have you been to the PRO at Kew to look up the war diary for that Brigade? That should give you more info.

I can't tell you too much about the Ammunition Columns. Others in this forum have far greater knowledge than I. However as I understand it, when war broke ou there was an ammunition column for each part, so there would have have been one for the third south Midland. In January 1916, the ammunition columns were rationalised and there was one divisional amm. col. serving the division. This continued, if you go to the Long. long trail and click on 48th division you will see how the division was made up.

However I do know that personnel were often attached to units from the amm. col. in times of need. My other Great Uncle was with the 1st South Midland Amm. col

later to become 48th Division.

I have the Divisional Amm. Col. war diary for the period April 1915 to March 1917. It goes into a little detail on how the changes took place! I will see what it says!

Hilary