The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cheshire Reg. Regtl No/Battalion served

droberts

I am researching Roberts WR

Enlisted in the cheshire Regiment Nov 7th 1914 No 2667.

MIC states first overseas service was 1france entered 29 may 1915.

Family verbal history records him as having served in Gallipoli.

Family verbal history has him hospitalised in Alexandria from Gallipoli.

Discharge papers show his infantry service 7 Nov 1914 to 20 May 1918 and Army Pay Corps clerk (No 20417) 21 May 1918 to 31 March 1920.

Discharge Papers also show him as having served in the R.West Surrey Regt and the London Regt.

Discharge papers show He served in the Eastern Theatre, was classed B2 and one blue chevron.

Q1 What is the blue chevron about?

Q2 Does any of the above information indicate what cheshire batallion Roberts WR may have served in?

Q3 Could there be an error by the entry of 1 france on the MIC?

Q4 Why would have changed units three times?

Thanks for thinking

Dave Roberts

I may be totally wrong, but I should say that the 'Blue Chevron' refers to an overseas service chevron, one of which was given for each year in a theatre of war or similar. They were worn on the cuff. See Overseas service chevrons - Canadian site, but its the same principle.

The 1914 one was red though.

Hope this is of help,

Hugh

Dave

Service number suggests a Cheshire Territorial Battalion. Only the 4th and 7th were at Gallipoli. However, neither were in France before this. Leaves me confused, I'm afraid.

Any other Cheshire service numbers on his MIC?

John

However, neither were in France before this. Leaves me confused, I'm afraid.

It could be that his battalion or reinforcement moved through France to Marseille before embarking for Gallipoli via Egypt. Just a thought.

Andy

Now even more confused.

Done a bit more checking - prompted by Andy's post and the 4th & 7th didnt leave England until mid-July. Which means he can't have been with them for entry to France in the May.

By the end of this I will have mentioned every Cheshire TF Bn somewhere along the line - so will claim credit for being right. Best guess must be that he went joined & went to France with either the 5th or 6th. Beats me about Gallipoli - unless was out of action and transferred when he'd recovered.

But I give up on this one for now, pending any more info from Dave.

John

Perhaps this will shed a little more light. Several local Sandbach men, long-term members of the 1st/7th Cheshires ("G" Company was the Sandbach Coy) signed up for overseas service on outbreak, and some were transferred to and served in 1st/5th, two of whom were killed in March 1915. 1st/5th went out in Feb 1915. That would indicate that reinforcements were needed.

Roberts could have gone out as a reinforcement in May, got wounded immediately and returned to UK, healed quickly, allocated to 1st/4th or 1st/7th for Gallipoli. Doesn't have to have arrived with them when they landed, 53 Div took a couple of pastings and required large drafts a short while into the Suvla campaign.

Certainly I have traced one man from Gallipoli, medevac'd to Alexandria and then back to UK and onward into France, changing regiments in UK.

There were four Cheshire Battalions in France in 1915 - 1st and 2nd, 1/5th and 1st/6th. Might have taken his TF number to France with him as a reinforcement to any of these battalions, retaining the number due to the short time in France.

Had a quick look at my records. One of the 1st/7th Sandbach men who served in 1st/5th was given a farewell in the town in Jan 1915 as one of "twenty volunteers". Some Sandbach men served in the 1st/6th as well, two who appear to be born/lived in Sandbach (and therefore could be expected to be in 1st/7th) were killed in action but later in the war.

So an avenue into both territorial battalions that served in France early in the war was available.

Dave

Service number suggests a Cheshire Territorial Battalion. Only the 4th and 7th were at Gallipoli. However, neither were in France before this. Leaves me confused, I'm afraid.

Any other Cheshire service numbers on his MIC?

John

John and Andy,

No other Cheshire sevice numbers, my dad tells me that WR told him that he was entitled to the territorial medal as well but didnt apply for it. My gran kept the sun helmet he had brought back from gallipoli. He told my father that they were equipped with their tropical kit in the uk and marched to the boats with their Topis on.

Unfortunately WR died in 1942 when my dad was a teenager so our information is limited.

Youve got me thinking. If they only passed through France in transit for other theatres as you suggest - would that be enough to put france on the MIC?

I'll have to see if theres any more info on the roll in Kew sometime when I make a trip. I'm based in the west of ireland.

Thanks very much

Dave Roberts