The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

“The Sherwood Foresters in the Easter Rising Dublin 1916” New book by

depaor01

Hi all,

I hope it's OK to post this here.

I have had contact with Chris Housley, Regimental Historian of the Sherwood Foresters Museum over the last couple of years in connection with the Sherwood Foresters and their role in the 1916 Rising.

I haven't read this book yet, neither do I have any vested interest in its publication. However, given the regiment's huge following on this forum, I'd like to reproduce some details about it here:

“The Sherwood Foresters in the Easter Rising Dublin 1916” covers from the mobilization at Luton in April 1916 through to the return of the four battalions to Fovant on Salisbury Plain in January 1917.

The book covers all the movements of the four Sherwood Forester Battalions outlining what each battalion did and where it went. The book also

puts to bed some of the more commonly believed points regarding Firing Squads etc. A Full list photographs and full details of those Killed and Wounded in included.

There are many maps and photographs throughout the book

It can be obtained from “Miliquest Publications” 83, Draycott Road, Sawley, Derbyshire England NG10 3BL The book costs £10 plus £2-00p Post and Packing in UK (Postage to Southern Ireland is £5.47P) (any other country by request)

Cheque should accompany order and made payable to “Miliquest Publications”.

Regards,

Dave

Dave, its Cliff Housley just in case anyone contacts him. BRONNO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

got a copy.

Some good info re the Sherwoods before, during and after the Rising. Good info re the those KIA and DoW, wounded and those with awards.

A few errors, lots of typos; some photos too small. No references.