The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

War memorial location

Guest Gardengirl

Guest Gardengirl

Hi list,

Researching my husbands paternal line as a surprise present I have discovered his great-uncle, Harry Arthur Wall was in the 1st/6th Bn., London Regt (City of London Rifles) he died on 30th Nov 1917, remembered at the Cambrai Memorial in France but I'm sure he would also of had his name put on a war memorial stone back in London. His address was Islington, any ideas where I can find such a memorial, I searched for ages on google for a local memorial stone and found nothing, not even a Roll of Honor listing.

Any guidance would be a great help as we're going down to London after Christmas and it would be an ideal opportunity to pay it a visit.

regards Val, Lancashire.

Hi Val,

I think Charles Fair is your man for London Regiment.

According to SDGW: Pte Henry Arthur Wall

Born St Pancras

Enlisted London

Lived St Pancras

I see from CWGC that Henry lived in Donegal Street. Just round the corner where Penton St meets Barnsbury Rd is a church and outside is a memorial, this said there are no names on it however there may be a roll of honour inside the church.

Hope this helps

Marc

According to James in British Regiments 1914-18, the 1/6th battalion absorbed the 2/6th and became the 6th battalion at the end of the war. A spot of Googling shows that there is a memorial to the 6th in the north aisle of St. Sepulchre-without-Newgate. I don’t know if it includes names. There are other interesting WWI features in the church too. Details here.

The church is at the junction of Holborn Viaduct and Giltspur Street, opposite the Old Bailey.

And according to Connelly in The Great War, Memory and Ritual, The City of London Rifles created its own memorial in the Farringdon Road drill hall. It was designed by an ex-rifleman of the battalion, the copper engraving and carpentry was carried out by ex-servicemen, and the work was supervised by the father of one of the dead soldiers. The bank holding the memorial funds went bust but the battalion’s old brigadier came to the rescue. Other Pals will be able to tell you whether the drill hall still exists.

Charles Fair is a pal on this forum who always seems to know alot about the London Regiment.

He may know if the drill hall exists, as a London Cabbie i must admit i've never noticed it. I think the church Clive refers to is the Royal Fusiliers memorial church.

Marc

Val,

Was outside Moorgate Tube Station exit 3 in London a few weeks ago (not touting for business!!) and there was a large memorial with a number of London \ Middlesex regiments on, unsure exactly which ones though. This was opposite Bank of England.

Great memorial with figures of soldiers on each corner - could be on there?

Regards

Matt

Guest Gardengirl

Thanks to Clive, Marc and Matt for some great input :D

I have taken notes and will do some checking by phone before we go down to try and pinpoint exactly were to go as time goes so quickly when your there and I know hubby won't want to miss it.

Thanks so much.

PS, so Marc your a London cabbie? some of my husbands relatives, also descendants from the same line as Harry who died in WWI are London cabbies too. Last yr a bloke who works with my hubby went down to London for the weekend (we all live up here in Lancs) and got into a cab they got chatting and it was only my hubby's cousins's cab, small world and he kindly gave them the trip for free :-)) My husband's uncle (the cabbie's dad), would turn in his grave if he knew, lol

Thanks again for all the help and links!!!

regards, Val Wall in Lancs.

Val, if you go to Graeme Fisher's famous 'Drill Halls' thread (click here) you will find some photos I posted last year of the 'Cast Iron Sixth's' drill hall near Farringdon Station. The photos are on page 3. As the building is now over to civilian use I suspect that if you want access you would be best of visiting during the week.

The war memorial might still be inside, but i dont know for sure.

Was outside Moorgate Tube Station exit 3 in London a few weeks ago (not touting for business!!) and there was a large memorial with a number of London \ Middlesex regiments on, unsure exactly which ones though. This was opposite Bank of England.

Great memorial with figures of soldiers on each corner - could be on there?

This fine memorial is the London Troops Memorial, and is outside the Royal Exchange/Bank of England. (Nearest tube is Bank.) It lists all the TF units from the City and County of London, so includes the 6th. (However, individual men are not listed.)

Every June (the first or second Sunday) there is a Parade of Homage and Remembrance to the London troops. This starts with a commemorative service at this memorial, then a parade led by the band of the HAC up past Moorgate to the HAC where we have drinks and lunch.

Guest Gardengirl

Thank you Charles for your information & advice, most appreciated.

A big thank you to all who have contributed to my request for help in this thread.