The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Race To The Sea...

timsanders

Can anyone recommend a book on this?

I know it's not a battle as such and is probably only seen as a 'race to the sea' through contemporary eyes but this period has long held my interest especially the transition from mobile to static warfare and ultimately the end of the regular army at 1st Ypres.

Many thanks

Tim

There's supposed to be a WFA written article on this in the CWGC's October newsletter Click but the link to it doesn't - at least for me - work :(! (reported so hopefully it will get fixed)

NigelS

Edit: happy to report quickly fixed. Direct link to article

Edited by NigelS

many thanks both.

David - I have searched yes and as you point out most roads lead to 1st Ypres, I guess the name 'Ypres' is an easier sell and is chronologically speaking a good place to conclude the regular army of 1914.

My specific interest centres on the outflanking actions which lead there, probably too specific a scope perhaps.

Nigel - thanks for the article, what a great story identifying the soldiers of October 1914.

The article Nigel mentioned also linked to a archive 'The Battle of Ypres-Armentieres' which I look forward to reading. https://archive.org/stream/battleofypresarm00daviuoft#page/n3/mode/2up

• 2 months later...

Hi Tim, an interesting topic indeed. The book I just published, Imperial Germany's 'Iron Regiment' (there is another post on the books website on this) goes into quite some detail at the German regimental level on the transition from the mobile period to trench warfare. This unit, Infantry Regiment 169, began the war in the Alsace-Lorraine in the Battle of the Frontiers, was involved in creating what turned out to be the St Mihiel Salient and then was on the Race to the Sea, ending in La Bassee (the southern edge of the First Ypres Campaign). While it is not a comprehensive study of First Ypres, I think it will give you some idea of the this period from the German soldier's perspective. All the best, John Rieth