The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Field Artillery, 62 Reserve Battery

Guest Pete H

Hi there

First of all, apologies as I'm a bit new to this.....

Due to some recent family tree stuff, and ending up as the owner of my Great Grandads war medals, I'm looking to find out more about his service history, and unit. All I have is his medal card as information. His name was James Hackett, he was a driver, his service number was L-8201 ( I have seen it written as 48201) and his unit was Royal Field Artillery 62 Reserve Battery. From the scant info I can find I believe they were stationed in Ripon as a remount training unit. Whatever that was. I'm led to believe its something to do with Horses? Again apologies if thats wrong as I have no idea. Any help on this unit would be appreciated, as I'm not sure if they ever left the country, or changed name, or anything.

Thanks Pete H

Hi Pete

Welcome to the Forum

James Hackett, number L8201, Rank Driver, 62 Reserve Battery, R.F.A.

Enlisted 4th March 1915, Discharged 28th January 1919.

Sailed from Southampton to Le Havre 5th January 1917. 18th January concentration completed in the Third Army area between the rivers of Canche and

Authie.

Awarded Victory and British War Medals.

For information on their involvements and action check out the Long Lost Trail, above left at the top of the page.

Regards

Tony.

Pete H,

Welcome to the Forum,

62nd Reserve Battery was a fixed home unit and did not go overseas. This would be the unit from which your Great Grandfather was discharged.

The L prefix to his number indicates enlisting in one of the war raised local RFA brigades. His number seems to fit those given to 152nd (Nottingham) Brigade RFA.

This brigade joined 34th Division and went overseas around January 8, 1916 - see http://www.1914-1918.net/34div.htm

The Nottingham area also raised 188th Brigade RFA to which he could have been later posted. This brigade joined 40th Division - http://www.1914-1918.net/40div.htm

Hello Pete

Remounts is the term used to cover the acquisition and training of horses (and other animals) for the Army.

Ron

Wow! Thank you for this!

There were several rumours about him that ran through the family, no one was sure where he had served, but the Dardanelles kept coming up in conversation Ive had with relatives. But that was sketchy. Also it was said that he'd died at home, out of the services due to the effects of gas poisoning over time, maybe in the early 20s? He came from Netherton in the Black Country so a midland regiment may well make sense. I'll check all the links later on as I'm off to work shortly. Once again thank you for the information so far! Cheers!