The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Foreign Field by BEN MACINTYRE

Soren

Hi,

I've just started reading this, I mistook it for a book I'd seen set during the Great War. Unfortunately I did'nt buy it straight away.

The other book was about a murder, which seems weird amongst all that bloodletting, but I can't remember the title I'm sure it was non-fiction, does anyone know what I'm talking about or have I been seeing things??

Meanwhile I'll get on withe this one and shut up...

Soren.

Soron............Excellent book.................enjoy.....................I'll be interested in your opinion of Robert Digby once you've finished.................Brave soldier or Cowardly fool?

I enjoyed the book a great deal. I don't think they were cowards, they were in a great of danger staying where they were, being out of uniform there was always the possibility of being shot as spies if caught. I shall be visiting their graves next February.

IanC

I enjoyed it enormously once I got into it. Its such a strange empty patch of country to the west of the autoroute between Cambrai & St Quentin, and this book really brought it to life for me - a rich and moving novelisation which I would recommend to everyone on the forum for its unusual viewpoint about a rarely considered situation.

Mind you, if you put your anorak on you'll have a field day - e.g. the Escaut does not flow into the Somme - where would Antwerp/Anvers be without it, and I can't believe it was ever in such torrential flow at le Catelet that desperate fleeing soldiers couldn't have got across it - it wouldn't normally cover your shoes.

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't sure about this book - although parts of it were quite moving I thought a lot of the details about conversations etc owed more to imagination than anything else. It went very much for the human interest angle - which is no bad thing. Maybe it just wasn't for me!

Just finished it!! I'm not sure about these chaps..... feel they copped out of the war... a bit too easily.... but then that's easy to say from the safety of ninety years..

regards

Soren

• 1 month later...

Have just finished reading this book over a 2 day period, I found it an excellent read.

Steve Chilton

• 9 months later...

Just started reading this book. Good so far. I'll give my final verdict after I've finished it.

Ray

A good read, it really captured my attention and it was a book I found difficult to put down.

In regard to the coward/ brave angle....from 90 odd years on -they didn't make a huge attempt to get back to their own lines, but paid a heavy price for not turning themselves in as soon as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I read this book earlier this year in advance of taking a group to visit Le Catelet and Villeret. I thought it a cracking read and the story is very sad indeed. I have met some who didn't like the way it was written, after all - the author seems to 'presume' a lot of conversation and uses his artistic skills in weaving the story. However, I think it a better read for that and there is no doubt that he got the salient points right. I would certainly recommend it to any pals.

BTW, Le Catelet is well worth a visit. You can see where the men were executed againts the walls of the mediaeval fortress and then visit their graves in the village cemetery. We saw the site of the former fishing lodge on the Hargival Estate where the men hid in 1914, the former site of Francois Theillier's Chateau de Grand Priel and visited the grave of Claire Dessene in Villeret communal cemetery (also buried there is Pte John Sligo, 1/Somerset Light Infantry who was shot by the Germans on 26/08/14 as he and Digby ran for cover in the woods above Villeret).

A bit off the beaten track but makes a change to be in an area with hardly any British visitors and feels all the more special for that.

Cheers

I read it sometime ago and enjoyed it, having read Ralphs 'BTW' it has reminded me that I was going to visit the area myself, better getting planning on another little trip, thanks for the memory jog,

Regards,

Scottie.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished the book. A few interesting twists. Slightly meandering in places. Overall, a really worthwhile read.

Ray

I enjoyed this book, but was left feeling that there was a lot more to the story. Not that I am suggesting that the author left anything out, but it was a bit like a Hercule Poirot investigation; everyone could have been guilty of the crime, but who was?

I find it hard to believe that Digby was a spy and am inclined to agree with Soren's view that perhaps they could have done more to be repatriated. Again, easy to say with 90 years of hindsight!

Well worth 1p!

Roxy

I have just started the book having picked up a copy in the local Help the Aged shop! It was more than 1p though.

What on earth is the strategy behind the 1p per book that you see so often on Amazon? Why does anyone use it to sell anything - by the time they've taken their 20%, whatever is the point? Might as well give the book to the Help the Aged shop! (I speak bitterly, I must confess, as one who has a copy of 'A Foreign Field' at more than 1p).

(I like the new Quick Edit system, dear Moderator)

Edited by Graham-McAdam

I suspect that the company didn't spend all of my £2.75 p+p actually on postage. but who knows?

Roxy

Edited by Roxy

I suspect that the company didn't spend all of my £2.75 p+p actually on postage. but who knows?

Roxy

:lol::lol:

Maybe only £2 of it !