The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Foreign Field by BEN MACINTYRE

Soren

Guest mythago

I read this recently and enjoyed it, although I wasn't quite sure of the style - it's clear that MacIntyre is a journalist rather than a historian. Very sad story.

Cas

• 9 years later...

This is a very old thread and there have been one or two related threads since (last one 2011 ?) about Robert Digby, the main subject of this book. Having just found and read an old copy in paperback. I was interested to see if there was any subsequent 'new' research. I couldn't see any new info on GWF but I did see that in 1909 Ben Macintyre wrote a piece in the Times as an update on who might have betrayed Digby and the 3 others. I don't know how to link to the Times but another site has a copy of the article and I thought it might be of interest to link it here

I found the book a fascinating read on the life of a small community just behind the (German) front line with all the unanswerable questions as to how should (or would) one behave under such conditions- the dilema of balancing responsibilities to self, family, others, country etc. The journalistic style of research and writing presented no problems. I hadn't previously read a story recounting the horrors the civilians in this particular bit of occupied territory underwent. I have read those on WW2 escape and evasion, particularly of aircrew, and always admired the courage of ordinary people who helped them return to UK. I'm glad to see the same spirit persisted in the Great War.

I read this book a long time ago under another title. I think it was "The Englishman's Daughter", and enjoyed it although the ending seemed so unnecessary after hiding the men all that time. Mind you, i have forgotten the details.

Hazel C

I found the book a fascinating read on the life of a small community just behind the (German) front line with all the unanswerable questions as to how should (or would) one behave under such conditions- the dilema of balancing responsibilities to self, family, others, country etc.

Recent French histories of the occupation see the business of French villages hiding British soldiers (and Villaret was not alone in this respect) as one of many forms of resistance. The interesting question is their motivation - why they did it. Was it patriotism, anti-German sentiment, or humanity?

The initial reaction may have been instinctively humanitarian, but to continue in the face of increasing risk and with all the time for reflection, that takes courage and determination.Some shine, some don't. Twas ever thus.

• 2 years later...
On 29/10/2004 at 20:55, Soren said:

Hi,

I've just started reading this, I mistook it for a book I'd seen set during the Great War. Unfortunately I did'nt buy it straight away.

The other book was about a murder, which seems weird amongst all that bloodletting, but I can't remember the title I'm sure it was non-fiction, does anyone know what I'm talking about or have I been seeing things??

Meanwhile I'll get on withe this one and shut up...

Soren.

You weren't thinking of Ben Elton's fictional First Casuslty? A great little detective/crime novel set during the Somme offensive?

I do realise this post is 14 years late. Just came across this post.

Edited by WiseMonkey