The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Red cross letter about Lt. AH Perrott's grave

leigh

I got the service records for Lt AH Perrott of the 1st R Berks R on Tuesday. He died on 10/09/14 and shared a local church yard with 2 other soldiers till the end of the war when he was moved to a larger cemetry. Included in the papers was this letter from the Red Cross about a survey they did in the area to locate graves.

Dear Sir,

I forward the folowing information regarding an officer and man of the Royal Berks Regt, which you may care to have for the records of the regiment.

It has been obtained by the Society from members of an expedition organisd by our Paris Branch, to search the villages in the district of the Aisne:-

Graves in the Churchyard of Haute-Venes (HAUTEVESNES)  Aisne.

(1) Lieut. A.H.Perrott. 1st Royal Berks Regt. The inscription is written in ink on a small wooden cross and cut below it is:-

Lieut A.H.Perrott. R.I.P.

(2) Private King. 1st R Berks R. (stencilled ona wooden cross)

Both these graves are well kept and cut flowers are constantly renewed on them and in addition on that of Lt. Perrott some small flowers are planted in the shape of a cross, while a little box is planted to mark the edge.

Hautevesne is a small village of 160 inhabitants

Yours faithfully

Just tought it was worth posting :) It kind of shows a level of care that may well have disapeared as the casualty levels rapidly rose.

Regards

Leigh

Dear Leigh

I have a photo of Lt Perrott if you would like me to post it. Are you aware of 'The China Dragons Tales' the story of the 1st Bn Royal Berkshire Regt in the Grat War.

Cheers

MAC

Mac,

I have one photo of officers of the 1st Bn. R berks R from the Reading Chronical. I would love a copy of the pic you have of Lt Perrott if it is different to this one.

I have not heard of the story your mentioning either, do tell :)

Regards

Leigh

post-1-1099243071.jpg

Dear Leigh

I am familier with the photo you have it shows the officers of the 1st Battalion in Aldershot just prior to embarkation.

China Dragons tales was published last year by the Regimental Museum at Salisbury. Page 14 reads..........

Corporal Tiesteel recalls his funeral ' His (Lt Perrotts) body was carried into the village where he was buried as we were marching out. We came to the slope and marched to attention as he was carried past us. Everybody in the Regiment felt his loss as he was a slendid officer and one of the best sportsmen in the Regiment'

If you contact the Museum on www.thewardrobe.org.uk or speak to the curator (David Chilton) on 01722 419419 you can either buy a copy on line or he will send you one.

I attach a picture of Lt Perrott from the Regimental Journal taken just before the War.

May I ask what your interest in Lt Perrott is ?

Cheers

MAC

post-1-1099244350.jpg

Mac,

Thanks for the pic, great :)

I will get the book too.

I am a Perrott myself. I am not sure if AH is a relative, he is a distant one if at all. I am currently researching the P*rr*tts (sub a * for a vowel) in the great war.

My research into my great uncle is also involving Woburn Abbey cemetery which was coincidentally started by the RBerksR.

The confusing thing is though, if they started it why only one burial in it? were they all unknown? Or just the one man?

Thanks so much for the heads up on the book and the photograph.

Regards

Leigh

7th of November 1914 Simon.

L.