The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

With God to War

David Filsell

Although the subject of this book may not be to every one’s taste, or too oblique to bother with, it is a skilful contribution to one of the less known aspects of the Great War. It is not simply a biography, but a book skilfully combines Doyle’s story with the service, and actions of the 16th (Irish) Infantry Division. Doyle, a Jesuit, was recommended for a Victoria Cross by the Commanding Officer of the Division, Major-General William Hickie. (It’s also a damn good read.).

Carole Hope

Worshipper and Worshiped: Across the divide – An Irish Padre of the Great War Fr Willie Doyle Chaplain to the Forces 1915 – 1917. Reveille Press, Brighton. £29.99, soft back, 741pp., ills, chronology, 11 maps 3 appendices notes and refs, bibliog., index ISBN 978-1-908336-84-6

Whilst the remarkable Jesuit Fr. Willie Doyle’s story has been told before, never has life, career and death been so deeply scrutinised and evaluated as by Carole Hope in this fascinating doorstep of a book. To call Carole Hope’s work a labour of love undervalues the author’s efforts, work, thoughts and writings in the Great War as a Chaplin in the field..

Before his appointment as Chaplin the Irish 16th Infantry Division he had underlined his Christian commitment, through his work in pilgrimages, teaching, running missions and retreats. He served from shortly after Loos to Passchendaele to 3rd Ypres.In the line his work and personality earned him the affection of the Catholics of the 16th Division (as it did officers and men of the ‘proddy’ 36th Ulster Division).

Carole Hope’s research has clearly been exhaustive, diligent and expert. Doyle the man is skilfully portrayed, as is the work which he undertook as a chaplain, in the trenches, in action and alongside the other ranks with whom he routinely walked in the line of march. We see his actions, and his thoughts, placed in context of the actions of the division with which he served, and the men to whom he ministered. We also see his fortitude and modest bravery.

In my experience, few, if any, works on role of Chaplains with the forces have the scope or the impact of Worshipper and Worshipped. Although Doyle’s work and writing have already been drawn on by military historians, and those of religion, the completeness of this book will ensure that Willie Doyle’s letters will be extensively drawn on by writers.

Doyle was clearly an outstanding man, priest and Christian soldier. Carole Hope’s skilful weaving his military life into the actions fought by those whom he served is an outstandingly fresh evaluation of Doyle the man, the Priest and the Christian soldier. His death at Passchendaele was clearly a huge blow to his division, to his soldier comrades, to his many. Most tragically his body was never recovered. This is a splendid book

• 1 month later...

I bought a copy from Carole at the GWF conference. One of my ancestors on my father's side was an Anglican chaplain in WW1,one of my mother's uncles was a priest and our local priest was the first R.C chaplain to be killed in WW1 (Fr Finn) so the subject is of particular interest to me.

I have been looking forward to reading it for sometime, having previously "flicked through it"; I've just started reading it properly now and from what I've read so far I can wholeheartedly echo David's comments, this is a splendid book about a wonderful man.