The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help from any "Long Trailer"!

Patesian

Can anyone please help? I am researching a soldier killed in Cork, Ireland in March 1921. Although he died in Ireland, his body was brought back to his home in England and buried there. At present he lies in an unmarked grave and is not on the CWGC database. I intend to approach CWGC with a view to having them raise a headstone, to which he is clearly entitled. I don't want to start this without more ammunition. I don't have his army number and am uncertain about obtaining a death certificate which, presumably, was issued in a part of Ireland now the Republic. Does anyone have experience of this?

Can anyone please help? I am researching a soldier killed in Cork, Ireland in March 1921. Although he died in Ireland, his body was brought back to his home in England and buried there. At present he lies in an unmarked grave and is not on the CWGC database. I intend to approach CWGC with a view to having them raise a headstone, to which he is clearly entitled. I don't want to start this without more ammunition. I don't have his army number and am uncertain about obtaining a death certificate which, presumably, was issued in a part of Ireland now the Republic. Does anyone have experience of this?

Curious as the death of a serving soldier in March 1921 is within the qualifying dates for commemoration by the CWGC ...................Possibly a daft question I now but are you sure he was a serving British soldier & not a member of the Royal Irish Constabulary (The Black & Tans) who were mostly ex-servicemen.

Could you give us his name.

He could well be in the CWGC database but under a different name/spelling.

What info do you have and where is he buried?

Thanks for your reply Will - he was definitely a British serving soldier at the time of his death. If I can crack the business of the death certificate, maybe this omission on the part of the CWGC can be put right.

If you can let know who he is, we may be able to help.

There are many men said not to be on CWGC's list but who in fact are there. I found three yesterday.

You will have to be aware that, if he is missing, it is not a straightforward proces to have MoD recognise him as qualifying for war grave status. There is a whole procedure to be gone through and certain evidence you will require. The death certificate will be a must.

Thank you for your reply also Terry. I am quite satisfied that he is not on the CWGC database. No headstone has ever been erected over his grave - this fact checked with cemetery authorities. I cannot "go public" with personal details at the moment - there are family involved. If anyone knows the answer about how to obtain a certificate for a death in the (now) Republic of Ireland, this should give me enough evidence to go forward.

Certificates for all of Ireland pre-1922 can be obtained from

Office of the Registrar-General of Births, Deaths and Marriages

(General Register Office)

Joyce House

8-11 Lombard Street East

Dublin 2, Ireland

Phone: (011) (353) 1 6711000

Fax: (011) (353) 1 6354440

If you need any help with the process of CWGC/MoD recognition, email me off-Forum.

I'm grateful for the address Terry - that seems to be the way forward. I am as sure as can be that this soldier is not known to the CWGC. If I can get the death certificate, I have enough other documentation to satisfy them. I'll let you know the outcome.

Hello Patesian

If you do not want the name of this man in the public domain then I would strongly suggest that you get in touch with Terry Denham privately.

He is a font of knowledge in all things CWGC and has an "in" with the organisation. As Terry says, the whole procedure of recognition by the CWGC is tortuous and what you may consider compelling evidence they may not. You would not believe the hoops that I had to jump through just to get my Great Grandfathers middle name changed on the CWGC database and it was only with Terrys guidance that this was achieved at all.

Best of luck

Andy