Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Somme map

K Battery RHA

Hi,

Can anyone advise me on the best map to get for a walking tour of the Somme battlefield? A sort of detailed OS map that shows footpaths, tracks, contour lines etc.

Much appreciated.

Hi,

Can anyone advise me on the best map to get for a walking tour of the Somme battlefield? A sort of detailed OS map that shows footpaths, tracks, contour lines etc.

Much appreciated.

Look here:

http://aquaterra.be/en/cartography/shop/?product=72

When we were in the area some years ago I bought Map 39, which seems to have been replaced by the one shown on the page. It was produced in a series aimed at cyclists PIERRE TEVERNIER SERIES

Kevin

PS another search found this with price:

http://www.altiplanobooks.be/maps/cycling+maps/europe/france/pasdecalais/nr+39+artois+sud+paysage+de+memoire+19141918+.html

Hi,

Thanks for that, much appreciated

There are some maps 1:10,000 (Edit - I think these were the 1:25,000 serie bleue range) scale which are probably not too much use as they are very detailed and not advertised as such. I bought some covering Essarts and Bucquoy because of relevance to my grandfathers activity in RFA. My suggestion would be to buy a map of the area and when you get to the Somme look in the bookshop (Maison de la Presse) opposite the Basilique in Albert. Last time I was there they had a comprehensive range so that you could decide most relevant to your plans.

Kevin

K.

For maps of French regions and departments,a good source is IGN,the French OS equivalent.

Go to http://loisirs.ign.fr/ for Cartes De Rando Serie Bleue &Top 25 which are scaled at 1.25000.They can be bought on line but ideally you will require an on line map of France showing the coverage of these maps....the map index being followed by O (West) and Est (East).

A few years ago there used to a printed catalogue and I have just located mine, dated April 1 1998.Looking at the catalogue there are at least 6 maps covering what is regarded as the Somme and considering the price of over 10 Euros each,selection such be such that money is not wasted.

The other site is www.via michelin.com which also has a good selection of maps for the French regions.

In addition to online purchase,these maps are available at the larger supermarkets where exact requirements can be determined by browsing.As usual there are always examples of having two maps to buy as the location to be visited,lies on the boundary of two adjacent maps.

The other source might be the Somme tourism department which have produced maps for the centenary but I would say that the 1.25000 IGN maps are hard to beat for what you require.