The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

liaison 1914 - Edward Spears

paulgranger

Just been browsing Pen & Swords website, and I see that they are reissuing this memoir towards the end of November, which is welcome news.

Certainly is. I'm lucky enough to have an original in very good condition. Cracking read and looks great on the bookshelf.

John

Paul

Good news indeed, i have this in paper back - its a very big book - do you know if the p and s issue will be hard back?

I do prefer hard back if possible.

Judging by the price being quoted,it will be hardback.

Yes it is hardback, when I first saw that it was to be reprinted I had assumed it was already quite a common book ,knowing that Cassell had reprinted it several years ago in

hardback and that it was also reprinted in 1968 by Eyre & Spottiswoode, but looking at ABE and Amazon today it appears that it is quite scarce unless you want to spend

hundreds on a paperback copy !.

I have been looking on ABE for a copy, but as you say, somewhat pricey, so three cheers for Pen & Sword. They are also reissuing Cyril Falls 'History of the First World War' which you can get for reasonable second-hand prices, but a shiny new copy might be nice.

Paul

Thanks for that - Hard back - I will add this to my wants list.

regards

I've just checked on ABE and there are several copies of the original, sans jacket, for £30 to £40. Those may be preferable to the new reprint as I doubt they'll provide the splendid fold out colour maps that came with it.

That last post drove me to the bookcase, and my copy, not handled for some time is of the second edition, which sadly lacks the fold out maps.

Keith

I've just checked on ABE and there are several copies of the original, sans jacket, for £30 to £40. Those may be preferable to the new reprint as I doubt they'll provide the splendid fold out colour maps that came with it.

I bought from Abe perhaps 3 years ago for about £50. Great condition and the maps are splendid alright.

John