The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Battle of Amiens

chrisleach78

I recommend "The Day We Won the War - Turning Point at Amiens 8th August 1918" by Charles Messenger. Phoenix, 2008. ISBN 978-0-7538-2593-8.

If you like to read the German view: "Die Katastrophe des 8. August 1918" by Mal Thilo v. Bose, Gerhard Stalling Verlag, Berlin 1930.

By the way: My grand uncle had been cut down by British cavalry in this battle. He was a 2nd Lt. in the 1. Bat. Grenadier Regiment Nr. 11.

Kind regards

HenryTheGerman

Hi Chris, Chapter 19 of the free download covers this: TANKS IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 by Brevet-Colonel J. F. C. FULLER, D.S.O. NEW YORK E. P. BUTTON AND COMPANY 1920

I would second the Messenger vote,

H.C.

Also, 'Amiens 1918' James McWilliams and R James Steel.

Another one:

McCLUSKEY, A. and P. DENNIS, 2008: Amiens 1918: The Black Day of the German Army. Osprey Publishing Ltd., Oxford, UK and Ney York, USA. ISBN: 978 1 84603303 2

Please consider that not the tanks but the operation of the cavalry (in particular the1st and 3rd Cavalry Division) was the big issue for the British. The tanks had to serve as trailblazers for the cavalry regiments which developed behind the German lines and - cleaning the rearward areas of the Germans - quickly advanced to their objectives far ahead. Therefore you should have a focus on the cavalry, too, in order to understand the actions of the tank corps in that battle.

I wrote an article about the battle process, focusing the sector in front of HarbonniƩres and Cayeux. Might be interesting for you but requires knowledge of the German language however.

Kind regards.

Henry