The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Is this bullet WW1 ?

ForeignGong

As to an FAC for collecting, you need an entry something like "300 rounds assorted small arms ammunition".

One last thing if I may, does the calibre of the gun one owns (eg .22) have no bearing on the calibre ammunition that can be kept (eg 303)? Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks again.

Steve

Like so many things, it depends.

Ordinarily, ammunition that one may hold is listed on one's FAC .e.g. 300 rounds of .303, 300 rounds of 9mm, etc If you want ammunition, other than as part of a collection, you can only hold those calibres for which you have a firearm to shoot them from - again, like so many things, that is not that law but the practice. So if you want to keep n rounds of .303 you must have a .303 rifle from which to fire it.

If you wish to collect ammunition, you need only to show "good reason" for your collection of ammunition and then you may hold any calibres.

I do miss TonyE because I used to ask him all my ammunition questions, although they tended to be quite esoteric questions about esoteric types.

Edited by Beerhunter

Gerry - I believe that German Askaris used this cartridge in the East Africa campaign - they were still armed with the Mauser M1871. And I believe a number of these rifles were smuggled into Ireland and used by the Irish rebels in 1916. As for rendering the cartridge inert I once had to deal with a belt of 200 7.62mm rounds that were going to be used with a GPMG on a display. Having removed the charges I oiled the primers with 3-in-1 oil. I tested 10 the following day and five still fired although only two went off with sufficient energy as to perhaps fire a charge. After three days two fired but only spluttered, and after 7 days none would. Testing them some months later they had all remained inert. -SW

Many thanks for the message SW,

Gerry