The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Gunners on the Western Front 1914-18 - Lord Hutton

Has anyone seen this book. Allegedly being published in October. The author is giving a lecture at RUSI in November and I thought it might be worth reading..... It does not appear to have been released. i am wondering what more could be written on this subject?

The RUSI pitch:

Histories of the Great War often reduce the role of the artillery to a few paragraphs, which has created a seriously distorted impression of the reality of the fighting. In his lecture, Lord Hutton will tell the story of the First World War as the gunners themselves saw it, focussing on the first few months of warfare which were fundamental to the conduct of the campaign.

The gunners may not have always shared the trench experiences of the infantry in the front line, but they were in the thick of the action and success or failure depended on them. Drawing on the personal testimonies of those who served with and supported the guns, Lord Hutton will provide a vital insight into the colossal tragedy and drama of the war from the artilleryman’s perspective.

I am not sure I would agree with the opening line. Becke, Farndale, Strong & Marble etc. Has anyone seen this for review? Any thoughts?

MG