The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Guy Chapman's Vain Glory...worth owning?

Felix C

Have opportunity to purchase a copy and asking if it is worth owning or has been extensively mined and the contents will not be new. I cannot find a table of contents anywhere. Do not like poetry and so ask much poetry in the book?

I agree! There are so many nuggets to read in this book and its bibliography is a mine of references to many of the classics. Buy it now!

Just bought an ex-library copy - 1st ed 1937 - for a tenner....thanks for the tip!

Took me yrs to find a copy, get it by all means.

I purchased my copy quite a few years ago from a small bookshop in Cheltenham and it was quite a scarce book but I notice there are Thirty Four copies for sale on ABE and

Fifteen on Amazon at the moment, I suppose it's a good example of how books that were once hard to come by are now quite common , thanks to the internet.

• 4 weeks later...

Halfway through the copy recently acquired. Very fine work. Fairly often I had to look up a number of references.

Does remind me of Max Hastings' Oxford Book of Military Anecdotes which I thoroughly enjoyed reading and still do.

Picked one up recently. Superb!

Bernard