The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Great War Audio Books

archangel9

Hi,

I'm driving 3 hours a day to and from work and wasting a lot of reading time. I wish there was a train route! Recently I have listened to two works of fiction of CD while driving and really enjoyed them both. The drive was not such a waste of time after all. So the question is where do I get Great War books on audio CD? Recommendations greatly appreciated.

John

Several of the Peter Hart (non-fiction) books are also on CD. I think I bought mine through Amazon. Try ebay as well, especially if you like Flashman.

There is a whole range through the Nelsonian period right up to the modern day and a very offering on WW1 and WW2.

Regards,

Jonathan S

A better option would be to download them to your iPhone or iPad then play them through your car stereo system. I use audible.co.uk. A membership gives you access to many books on The Great War. There is a refer a friend option John and you can get a 30 day free trial. If you want it message me your e-mail and I will refer you.

Eddie

Thanks Gents. I didn't think there would be much choice out there but great to see that there is. Driving will be less of a chore from now on I hope.

Eddie I'll send you on my email address now. Very kind of you to offer.

Thanks

John

There are also CDs of interviews with the WW1 veterans that I used to listen to in the car. I'm out of the country at the moment so can't remember their titles but I think that the IWM does one and there's also a set which was a companion to one of the books of veterans' recollections, again I can't recall the title. I'll check when I'm back and let you know.

A better option would be to download them to your iPhone or iPad then play them through your car stereo system. I use audible.co.uk. A membership gives you access to many books on The Great War. There is a refer a friend option John and you can get a 30 day free trial. If you want it message me your e-mail and I will refer you.

Eddie

I'm starting with something completely different for me -

The Eastern Front 1914-1917 by Norman Stone.
I know nothing of the campaign on the Eastern front and this book seems to be the required read according to the searches I've done on the forum.
Thanks again.
John

Just remembered one of them.....

It's the audio accompaniment to Max Arthur's book 'Forgotten Voices Of The Great War'. I transferred it from cassettes onto CDs but it's available as an audio download here. I don't know if this covers all the material from the cassettes (the picture suggests it may only be 1917-1918).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Struggle-Victory-Forgotten-Voices-Great/dp/B002SPZ48I/ref=sr_1_1_title_2_audd?ie=UTF8&qid=1414322488&sr=8-1&keywords=forgotten+voices+of+the+great+war

The IWM is currently producing a free podcast called "IWM Voices of the First World War". So far they have released 46 episodes which can all be downloaded, varying in length between 9 minutes to 32 minutes long. If you have a device which will play the episodes automatically one after the other, you'll have yourself a free little audiobook ;)

Jamie

Thank you for this thread! I seem to have racked up a few credits on Audible and I do enjoy audiobooks but I could never seem to find any Great War titles (Lord knows where I've been looking or searching but obviously in the wrong places!) I will hunt them out more vigoursly tomorrow and think I will be transported to book heaven! Because I also discovered this week that you don't have to have a Kindle to download Kindle books to an iPad. Oh Frabjous Day! It's a good job I have some credits with Audible as I can see these two little ventures costing me a bit...

Thank you for this thread! I seem to have racked up a few credits on Audible and I do enjoy audiobooks but I could never seem to find any Great War titles (Lord knows where I've been looking or searching but obviously in the wrong places!) I will hunt them out more vigoursly tomorrow and think I will be transported to book heaven! Because I also discovered this week that you don't have to have a Kindle to download Kindle books to an iPad. Oh Frabjous Day! It's a good job I have some credits with Audible as I can see these two little ventures costing me a bit...

There are currently 45 books listed for The Great War. Go to 'History' section and you will find them.

The IWM is currently producing a free podcast called "IWM Voices of the First World War". So far they have released 46 episodes which can all be downloaded, varying in length between 9 minutes to 32 minutes long. If you have a device which will play the episodes automatically one after the other, you'll have yourself a free little audiobook ;)

Jamie

Jamie,

All available from iTunes too -

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/iwm-voices-first-world-war/id446748876?mt=2

Excellent!!

Thanks very much.

John

Driving will be less of a chore from now on I hope.

My 3 hour drive was well spent today for the first time. One problem - I might have to bring some 14-18 maps with me and pull over regularly!

There are currently 45 books listed for The Great War. Go to 'History' section and you will find them.

Thank you Ghazala - found them!

It is a very long time since I last looked for WW1 books on Audible and I used to look under history but it's that long ago, I can't remember if the few titles they had, were lumped under general history or military. Looking at some of those titles, many of them are books that have been added in the past 12 months or so. I will say that it is probably 12-18 months since I last looked and I used to be frequently disappointed, so I gave up looking at all. Now, I have downloaded four book this evening! However, only two of those are WW1 related - I will see how I get on first with those. Tomorrow evening, I shall explore Kindle prospects.

Browsing Amazon for Great War audio titles I am finding many more than I do on audible.co.uk. But if I click to buy, the books are from audible.co.uk. Strange. Might be just an indexing anomaly but it seems to be easier to browse the titles via Amazon.

• 3 weeks later...

The IWM is currently producing a free podcast called "IWM Voices of the First World War". So far they have released 46 episodes .................If you have a device which will play the episodes automatically one after the other, you'll have yourself a free little audiobook ;)

Jamie

iPhone does just that.

Thanks Jamie