The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Michael Bostwick - Baszczak 29th & 54th Bttn Info

Guest Suite B Meadery

Guest Suite B Meadery

This site has already helped a great deal - great work.

I hope to obtain info or material relating to my grandfather Private Michael Bostwick #442944 29th Vancouver Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force (C.E.F.). Beyond genealogical interest I am very interested in purchasing his service medals, letters, photos, etc. for the benefit of all of his descendants. As I know nearly nothing about him aside from what I have gained from his military records I would also welcome any information as to his life outside his military service. To this end please find details as to his CEF, etc. experience below:

1915: Jun 16 Enlisted in B.C. with the 54th Kootenay Battalion, Nelson Detachment, 'A' Company #442944. Aug 17 Attested at Vernon Camp. Oct 22 Sailed aboard the RMS Missanabie to Devonport at Plymouth. Oct 31 Transferred to the 30th Reserve while still sailing. Nov 2 Arrived in England and boarded train to station at Shorncliffe, Kent and march to Dibgate Camp.

1916: Jan 18 Transf. to 29th Battalion and on Jan 20 embarked for France from Hythe near Dover. Jan 21 Arrived at Base Depot France to reinforce 29th Bttn. Feb 2 Left for the 29th in the field. Feb 4 Joined 29th in the field on the southern flank of the Ypres salient near St. Eloi. Aug 11 Transf. to the 29th's Machine Gun Company. Sep 26 Received a shrapnel wound to his right knee. Sep 27 Removed from battlefield. Sep 28 Evacuated to #2 General Hospital, Le Havre, France by a British Expeditionary Force (B.E.F.) convoy. Sep 29 Transf. by #49 Canadian Convalescent Service Field Ambulance to Etaples, France. Oct 1 Transf. to #1 Convalescent Depot and a gun shot wound was first recorded for his arm. Oct 14 Admitted into #4 Convalescent Depot, Le Havre. Oct 20 Transf. to Canadian Convalescent A.C. Shoreham-on-sea, England aboard the ship Asturias. Oct 22 Transf. to Military Hospital, Endell St., London W.C. Nov 15 Transf. to Canadian Convalescent Home, Bromley, Kent. Nov 18 Transf. to Moore Barracks Hospital, Shornecliffe, Kent. Dec 21 Transf. to Ontario Military Hospital, Orpington, Kent .

1917: Feb 20 Transf. to Hastings B.C. Regiment and set sail from Liverpool aboard RMS Grampian to St. John. Mar 1 Transf. to J Unit, Military Hospital, Resthaven Convalescent Home, Sidney, B.C. Mar 20 Admitted to Military Hospital Convalescent Care, Esquimalt, B.C. Mar 26 Admitted to J Unit, Military Hospital, Resthaven Convalescent Home, Sidney, B.C. Jun 16 Discharged from J Unit, Military Hospital, Resthaven Convalescent Home, Sidney, B.C. Sep 17 Farmed at Pine River, Manitoba.

1918: Mar 15 Marriage and re-enlistment as Lance Corporal in Regina Military Police. Lived at 27 Allison St., Moosejaw, Sask. Apr 12 Transf. to Saskatchewan Special Services Unit. Jul 21 Transf. to Battalion Canadian Garrison Regiment. Dec 7 Transf. to 12th Military District, 1st Sask Depot Battalion, Regina (Central to Casualty Clearing Stations). Dec 28 Discharged from 12th Battalion Canadian Garrison Regiment as Corporal. Intended to work as labourer in Vancouver, B.C.

1919: Mar 11 Moved to Dauphin, Manitoba. Aug 19 Took last military paycheque.

Prior to the war Michael Baszczak emigrated from Podolian/Ruthenian Galicia to Valley River, Manitoba in 1896 with his family and attended Trembowla School District 1040, He later resided at Pine River and Dauphin, Manitoba. His surname was anglicized sometime early on to Bostwick. He was employed as a bottler for the Hudson's Bay Company (location unknown-Winnipeg assumed) before moving to Nelson, B.C. prior to enlistment. After the war he married Mary A. Vennard and worked on a farm at Okotok, Alberta. He probably visited his parents who had moved from Pine River to Frances, Washington State, U.S.A. He and wife Mary moved to Nelson, B.C. and had a son Norman V.(my father) born Jan 27, 1930 Kootenay Lake General Hospital (Dr. E.F. Johnson) and he lived out his last days in Campbell River, B.C. d. Oct 5 1954.

Thank you in advance for any help you may provide. Sincerely,

Chris Bostwick

brotherb@telus.net