The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Allied Occupation of Germany?

Guest JHPravatiner

Guest JHPravatiner

Hi folks,

I'm curious how far the Allied occupation of the German Rhineland extended; I'm particularly interested in Wiesbaden. I know Mainz, right across the Rhine (the two cities have even traded suburbs at times), was firmly in the occupation zone and had quite a few French soldiers. Wiesbaden is considered part of the Rhineland, and it was a major center for the "Rhineland Republic" movement.

Does anybody know if occupation forces did cross the Rhine into the demilitarized zone on the right bank, and what nations, if any, had soldiers in Wiesbaden after the Armistice?

Thanks!

Joan

Hi JHP,

This attachment is from the details of the armistice agreement which shows the zones of occupation and the bridgeheads.Hope this answers your question.

Roop

You might find the British official account of the occupation of the Rhine bridgehead will adequately cover what you require.

"The Occupation of the Rhineland 1918-1929 (HMSO) by B.G Sir James E Edmonds was one of those official publications which were denied the light of day due to the 30 year rule and the initial decision that copies were to be "for office use only".

Consequently the account was first published by the HMSO as late as 1987 after one of the copies had been made available to the Director of the IWM in 1945.

The ISBN is 0 11 290454 8. Excellent value as a reference source. It should be obtainable via the IWM or any good bookseller.

Regards

Frank East

I know the IWM Photo Archive has images of the Occupation as I have seen good material on Mainz. Had a quick search (www.iwmcollections.org.uk) and found:

Photo No.: HU 6630 - HU 6632

Photographer: -

Collection Title: IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM PHOTOGRAPH ARCHIVE

Collection No.: 7004-06

Description: Images of Wiesbaden showing the the Ypres Barracks and Stadium and the departure of the British troops.

which might imply that British troops had been based there (?) - these are inter-war photos. I had not thought that to be the case and will have to take a look at what these images show when I can get a chance.

Bryn

Here is an excerpt from the war diary of the 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade regarding occupation duties. Being fully mechanized, they were able to move into position on short notice. The GOC was Lt-Gen Curry who came across the Bonn bridge.

-----------------------------------------------

Thu., Dec 12, 1918 RHINEBACHE, GERMANY

1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade

The Brigade moved to RHINEBACHE (APP. VII) E Battery and Armoured cars proceeded to BONN as G.O.C. guard (APP IX) Lieut. P.A.Green M.C. M.M. taken on strength.

--- signed , Lt.-Col. W.K. Walker, Commanding 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade

Fri., Dec 13, 1918 RHINEBACHE, GERMANY

Unloading of Brigade transport and cleaning equipment.

--- signed , Lt.-Col. W.K. Walker, Commanding 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade

Sat., Dec 14, 1918 FRIESDORF, GERMANY

The Brigade moved to FRIESDORF. Capt. F.F. Worthington M.C. M.M. returned from G.H.Q. S.A. School, CAMIERS.