The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

'The Battlefields of the First World War' Barton. Bargain!

Blincodave

The BookPeople currently have Peter Barton's excellent 'The Battlefields of the First World War' on their website at just £15 plus delivery. It is the slightly older version published in 2008.

I think the DVD is enhanced with the panoramas in an interactive format but not completely sure. I have ordered one but it will remain under wraps until 25/12

I recently bought it from them. Can't tell you about any differences, but it comes complete with the DVD which works fine on Windows 7. Seemed a bargain at the price.

I bought this a few months ago from them at the same astonishing bargain price (Here) [the DVD was interesting but I only looked at it once, so don't know if it was a new improved one or not]. But the book itself is astonishingly good, with so many photos and panoramas that I hadn't seen before - I have spent quite a few hours studying it with trench maps close at hand to compare them with.

William

Edit: I posted just before Dave's post: the one on offer certainly seems to be one with the older DVD. I bought the book for the book - I didn't even notice that I was going to get a DVD..... :w00t:

The version from the Book People has the sticker "including DVD containing 350 interactive battlefield panoramas". I haven't counted!

The DVD panoramas are divided into 8 sections covering the British front line from the coast to the area around the Somme. Each section is subdivided so that you can choose a particular panorama. The interactive element lets you pan left and right, or slightly up or down, and you can zoom in or out one level.

I am slightly puzzled that the new edition has an "expanded DVD" with 300 (as opposed to 350). Does this mean it has higher resolution photos, or is there greater interactivity?

Is anyone familiar with both versions?

I certainly wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending the version I have. The information in the book, and the actual panoramas of the front line give a fascinating insight into what it must have been like for those who were there.