The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

My Book

andalucia

Well I am about to play my small part in remembering war history. Today I sent back the proofs of my book to the publishers. The book will be out in January, it is about people from the Merseyside area during the two world wars.

Hope people like it.

Merseyside At War - Anthony Hogan

Best of luck with that Ant. Where will it be available for purchase?

Chris

Good luck and well done! Is it a Pen and Sword book?

Bernard

It will contain personal stories of people connected to the area. It also has chapters on the German community during WW1, and the Italian community during WW2.

All the very best with your book. I shall watch with interest and hopefully Amazon will give a 'look inside' at the contents. My granddad along with some other Seaforth men came from Scotland in 1919 following the police strike. They were looking to recruit policemen. He then met and married my grandma, from an Irish family that moved to Liverpool around 1905. My grandparents stayed until 1947 when they moved back to granddad's home in Morayshire, following his retirement.

As a result, my head is full of wonderful stories relayed from my grandma and mother. Such as; one about my grandparents practising the Charleston in my great grandmother's kitchen and her wry comment "Yer look like a pair of chickens scrattin' fer corn". Many others about the Lusitania and the horror of the blitz too - the terrifying nights spent in the Anderson shelter...The police were told to take secondary duties such as ARP warden etc. Granddad joined St John Ambulance and was sent on a course to Clerkenwell. I still have his St. John cap badge and qualifying medal, and his Bootle police uniform buttons and police numbers.

So, if I don't end up getting a copy myself, I hope it's a huge hit!

Hope it goes well, Ant, I'll be keeping an eye open for it.

Well done! please can you post when it becomes available?

Best Wishes

Gill

I have read the acknowlegements and introduction and am very humbled to find my name. Ant it is an honor for me to continue the WW1 paths with you!

I can just imagine the' incredulity' of your family, if someone had told them that the portrait for which they were posing ( in Jeromes?) would one day grace the cover of a book written by one of their Great Grandsons!

Thank you Gill. Yes it was taken in Jeromes on London Road. I think everyone in Liverpool had their photo taken there.

Egbert it is a pleasure to have you as a friend.