The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

8th Bn machine gun Corps

Guest winstonsmith

Guest winstonsmith

Hello

I'm sorry I'm very new to this. I recently discovered my great grand fathers war grave in France and am very curious to know more.

He served in the 8 Bn of the machine gun corps and was killed on the 1st of April 1918.

I have not been able to find out what army group they were with or where they fought. I know that many records for the MGC were destroyed in the blitz

but I thought that someone with more research skill than I might be able to enlighten me. I'd be most appreciative for any help given. I'm in Australia and unable to get near any of the records

that may exist. The one list of MGC Corps Bn's I've found on-line doesn't mention an 8 Bn but it's on his grave so must have existed.

Hello Winston.

8th Battalion,MGC,was the MG Battalion of the 8th Division,and was probably formed in February/March of 1918.

If you go to the main site,of this forum,you should find out more about the 8th Division and where it was serving on the date you are looking at.

I have a feeling they were on the Somme,near Amiens,though i am only sure about the end of April,when they were involved in the battle of Villers-Bretonneux,with my Great-grandads Division,the 58th,on the 24.4.18.

My Great-grandad was in the area from the first week of April,i seem to remember,around the Hangard Wood area,and in part of the official history i have read,it says the 8th Div had lost 287 Officers and 4,682 other ranks since March the 21st.

Hope this is of help.

May i just ask where he is buried,Winston?

All the best,from the UK.

Simon Furnell.

Hi Winston

I replied to your question in the soldiers section and this is a bit more info.

8th Battalion MGC formed in the 8th division on 20th Jan 1918 from the 23rd, 24th, 25th and 218th MG companies,which then became A,B,C and D companies respectively.

First Battles Of The Somme

23rd March Battle of St Quentin (XIX Corps, Fifth Army)

24th & 25th March Actions on the Somme Crossings

26th & 27th March Battle of Rosieres

24th & 25th April Villers Bretonneux (III Corps, Fourth Army)

I have copied this from info give to me by Jim Parker.

Regards Chris

Guest winstonsmith

I am so greatful for all the wonderful information supplied.

My great grandad lies in the cemetery of Namps-Au-Val.

I hope now that I can at least begin to discover a little of his story. It saddens me greatly that no person now living

has any real idea of what happened to him.

Thank you all again.

Spot on,Vickers.

8th Div,replaced 14th Light,in 3 Corps,though i am not sure why.

214th Company(my Great-grandads,MG Company),became D-Company,58th Battalion,MGC,in early March 1918,and,in under 3 weeks,were up to their necks in the begining of the German Offensive's of 1918.

My Great-grandad,somehow,survived for just over a month before being KIA.

All the best.

Simon.