The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

9th Worcestershire Regiment

Guest Dawn Elizabeth

Guest Dawn Elizabeth

Can anyone help?, I have a great grandfather and uncle who i think served in 9th worcestershire,and having a postcard from baghdad dated 1917,i hope im on the right lines.how can i obtain records of their service with the regiment,I have medal cards for them.great grandfather was a Arthur James Cooper,born and lived around Doddenham,worcs, I have three cards with arthur j Cooper 242463,27651 37850,how do i find out which card is his?

His brother in law was an Allan Gwynn living in same area and with a theatre of war dated on his of 10 9 1915 20955,the card has info on of SWB list L/A 57 and 2b balkans,I know swb is silver war badge does anyone know what the rest is.

I will be grateful for any info you have, Dawn Elizabeth

hello,

i think you can discount the 242463 number, that number looks like a 1/8 or 2/8 worcesters number to me. i am waiting to be proved wrong!

if you check the other two m.i.c.'s hopefully your relatives should say balkans 2b

enoch

Guest Dawn Elizabeth

hi enoch,all,

Thank for the info on the one medal card number,that leaves me with two,but i do not have any theatre of war entry on Arthur cooper cards,only the postcard he sent from baghdad.Does anyone know if there were other Worcester regiments in baghdad in 1917 ??

2b balkans appears on Allans card 20955,does anyone know what this means swb (i know its silver war badge)but what about the rest is swb list L/A /57.

Dawn

Hi Dawn & welcome! :D

Sorry if you already know any of this but:

'2b Balkans' means his entry into the Combat zone was onto the Gallipoli peninsular; a pretty nasty affair.

The 4th Worcs (see http://www.1914-1918.net/worcester.htm[/url] for info) went to Gallipoli with the 29th Division but went to france in 1916, so probably not them.

The 9th Worcs, 39th Brigade, 13th Division (see http://www.1914-1918.net/13div.htm[/url] ) are a good bet by the looks, so think you could be on the right track there? They were in the Egyptian / palestine theatre all war, so the postcard suggests Arthur was in the 9th.

Both the 4th & 9th are mentioned in Westlake's 'british regiments in Gallipoli' (abbreviated War Diary records in essence - a good piece of info). Let me know if it would help & ill have a go at typing it up for you!

For example, Westlake says of the 9th:

970 Ranks sailed from England June 1915, 10th August strength 260. They had a busy intro to Gallipoli by the looks of it, as did many many other battalions.

Allans SWB numbers are the reference to the certificate that accompanies the Medal. Held at Kew along with the other Medal Rolls mentioned on his card, & all are worth a look as they can carry further info. The 'SWB List L/A/57' is the specific Roll that has Allens info regarding his SWB.

Could you post or pm me with everything you have & Ill try & help put it inot a decent order perhaps??

Will have a think & post again later probably!! :rolleyes:

Steve