The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

97 Company RGA

Archer

Dear Experts

I am interested in Corporal [sic] W. Terrey, 97 Company, RGA. He joined the Company in South Africa in 1912.

Mobilisation orders were issued on 30 July 1914, and 97 Company, RGA took over batteries and emplacements in Simon’s Town.

Nevertheless, Terrey qualified for the 1914-15 Star by entering the African Theatre of Operations on active service on 21 December 1914, per his Medal Index Card.

Did 97 Company serve in German South-West Africa as a whole? What Battery, RGA, did it become?

Terrey was promoted Sergeant on 13 July 1915, and Battery Quartermaster Sergeant on 10 September 1915.

He was mustered on strength, 4 Howitzer Battery, RGA, on 10 September 1915, and served on operations with that unit in German East Africa, between circa September 1915 – December 1916, per his pay book.

Any ideas?

Regards

William

If this battery was in GEA its earliest date of embarkation would have been mid to end of November 1915.This is based upon the Union Gov statement of mid November for immediate despatch of small force. Unable to determine what this Howitzer Bty.became or if disbanded.

Roop

Thanks, Roop

My posting may have been confusing - my chap seems to have served in two units:

* 97 Company, RGA - and

* 4 Howitzer Battery, RGA

They may have been one and the same - but I want to know more about 97 Company.

Any takers?

Regards

William

Many thanks ... most interesting!

Terrey could have served with the Heavy Artillery Brigade, but the notes on The South African Corps of Marines seem to imply that it was made up of local volunteer units. Maybe he was posted in as 'stiffening' for the South African gunners.

Still, we have no direct reference to 97 Company, RGA.

We need a UK-based Artillery historian to say when RGA Companies become Batteries - and to give me pointers on the movements of 97 Company.

Cheers

William

Archer: It took awhile to figure this one out but I think I have the answer. 97 Company, RGA was a regular RGA company that up to the beginning of the war was stationed at Simon Town, (near Cape Town), South Africa. As far as I can tell the company never left Simon Town during the war. I think what happened was that Corporal Terrey came to German East Africa with the 4th South African Howitzer Battery. The battery arrived in German East Africa on 6 October 1915 under the command of Captain Cedric de Courcy, RGA. It was armed with two 5-inch BL howitzers that were manned by British RGA gunners from the Cape (and most likely Cpl. Terrey was one of these RGA gunners). In February 1916 the battery was redesignated 12th (Howitzer) Battery.

Regards. Dick Flory

Thank you, Dick, for a fantastic answer... as usual.

It confirms my suspicion that we were dealing with two different units.

It seems Terrey was Captain de Courcy's Battery Quarter Master Sergeant

Just one little fly in the ointment: B)

Terrey entered the African theatre of operations and qualified for the 1914-15 Star on 21 December 1914. This can only have been in German South West Africa.

The date is too early for the Heavy Artillery cross-referenced in Roop's posting above, so who did Terrey serve with between 1914 - 1915?

Thanks to Dick and Roop we are a long way further - are there any more gunners out there?

Cheers

William

Thats sounds right Dick.

I believe the Cornwall battery were 10th , Hull LX were 11th, 12th as above, 13th Hull RX, 14th was ex 158 Hull battery. The later SA and Indian artillery were field batteries and were not redesignated as far as I can tell.

Roop

In the meantime I have found out that in May 1916, 97 Company, RGA, left Simon’s Town to serve in France and Flanders.

It was replaced in the batteries and emplacements in Simon’s Town by the Cape Garrison Artillery.

Cheers

William

Unfortunately not - But BQMS Terrey (as he was by then) did not go back to 97 Company.

After returning to South Africa from German East in December 1916 he was posted back to Simon’s Town.

In July 1917 he was appointed acting Sergeant Major, Imperial Details, Simon’s Town, and granted pay as Battery Sergeant Major whilst so employed.

He never again left Simon's Town.

He retired, ostensibly to pursue the civilian occupation of book keeper, in October 1944, but the next day he was attested in the Union Defence Force and commenced full-time service as temporary Warrant Officer (Class 1), Master Gunner, no. 160242V, 2nd Heavy Battery, South African Artillery, Simon’s Town.

He was finally discharged from the army with benefits, engagement terminated having reached the age limit for retirement in July 1945!

Regards

William

Roop wrote:

I believe the Cornwall battery were 10th , Hull LX were 11th, 12th as above, 13th Hull RX, 14th was ex 158 Hull battery. The later SA and Indian artillery were field batteries and were not redesignated as far as I can tell.

Roop: If I am not mistaken you are talking about Heavy Batteries, and the 12th was a Howitzer Battery. Or have I misunderstood your message?

Dick

William wrote:

n the meantime I have found out that in May 1916, 97 Company, RGA, left Simon’s Town to serve in France and Flanders.

William: Would you be so kind as to quote the source of the above information. It is in direct conflict with information in the Royal Artillery history of the war in East Africa, which states that 97 Company, RGA was in Simon Town for the entire war. As far as I know, no RGA companies went to France, at least not designated as RGA companies.

Regards. Dick

Capt Basil Floyd OC 38th brigade writes in November 1916.

All the heavy batteries were redesignated in Smuts' reorganisation of March 1916, additionally upon formation of 38 Brigade RGA they bacame howitzer batteries instead of heavy.

Roop

Dick I,ll get this off to you later , its a bit big to scan quickly.

It is in direct conflict with information in the Royal Artillery history of the war in East Africa, which states that 97 Company, RGA was in Simon Town for the entire war. As far as I know, no RGA companies went to France, at least not designated as RGA companies

Your RA History is at odds with our own understanding here in South Africa. :D

See e.g. Cape Military Tours:

The Cape Garrison Artillery took over the duties of the Royal Garrison Artillery.

and

In 1917 [sic] the Royal Garrison Artillery personnel were withdrawn

L.J.D. Gay in 'The Old World Village' in The Bulletin of the Simon's Town Historical Society, vol. VIII. No. 3 (Jan. 1975), writes:

The two Companies out here, one in Simon's Town and the other at the Castle in Cape Town, after serving the first year of the War [sic] here left for France, where they took their full share in the 6" Howitzer Batteries.

Lieut. [now Commander] W.M. Bisset in 'Extracts from Fort Record Book ... No. 3: Scala Battery' in The Bulletin of the Simon's Town Historical Society, vol. XI. No. 2 (Jul. 1980), writes:

1916, May: On the departure of 97 Company Royal Garrison Artillery for Europe the batteries were entirely manned by the Cape Garrison Artillery.

Hope this helps

William